Guardian interview with Tom Blomfield (August 2019)

At first read with no context or anything it reads as SJW from a bank and a bank CEO at that.
With context it doesn’t read like that all(the dangers of interviews :raised_hands:)

This article is far more than the snippet about blocking. That’s the least important element. Surely it’s a given that blocking will be an opt-in just as the gambling one was.

I’m no fan of CEO interviews but this one has more going for it - read beyond the McDonalds reference. The narrative seems to be moving forward.

6 Likes

Like has been said, this data would never be given by large retailers unless legally required to.

Also it would be pretty useless unless every retailer in the country was onboard (at huge expense for all corner shops no doubt). One shop onboard? Just go to another one that is not.

Or just withdraw cash and pay with that. It is just unworkable and sounds like pandering to a newspapers readership.

With the greatest respect, I think that’s missing the point. Extending the block options is surely a direction of travel, some of it dependent on merchant data. Aspirational rather tablets of stone :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Going with the theme of this being opt-in, which is pretty clear from both context and previous developments, I am fine with this

I switched on the gambling block in Monzo, as I never gamble and so it could only ever be someone else trying to use my card details, and then I had very rare cause to attempt to add funds to a betting app (not relevant to this point, but only the second time in my life)

I had forgotten all about the gambling block, so it did not work. The high friction in Monzo for removing it saw me transfer the money to Starling, turn their block off, which has zero friction, and do it from there

A zero friction gambling block is less use than a chocolate teapot!

3 Likes

I think in the grand scheme of things I think things like blocks for loot boxes are more important than alcohol or cigarettes(if you really want to you can just buy them with cash) You can’t necessarily do that with loot boxes(in fact the only way is to buy them with a card)

Which was my biggest complaint about Barclays card controls

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean it is achievable though.

That doesn’t mean you stop aspiring to it though.

6 Likes

Like I said - direction of travel…

2 Likes

I guess I just live in a realistic world.

Whilst this might be a risk of derailing the thread(Mods feel free to move it into its own thread). A block only forms part of the solution, there needs to be an integrated solution. Its immature to say that
“But alcohol and cigarettes are the two I would really love to put a block on”.
The issues themselves are heterogeneous with various problems contributing.
I would be more curious about how this could integrate with current care solutions.

Monzo can only do what they can do and that’s the bit that is payment related

1 Like

I guess you do.

What a good job, then, no one ever aspired to change anything, ever.

5 Likes

I do wonder if a partnership would ever be on the cards to one of the addiction Apps(Most of them are terrible)(Source: https://mhealth.jmir.org/2019/4/e11831/)
I just wonder whether it could work in a therapy setting via suggestions from a consultant that the block is switched on. Or is that removing the autonomy of the individual?

Absolutely - not without a massive charge for the privilege of sharing the data.

2 Likes

*unambitious.

If everyone throughout history had just laid down when they were told something wasn’t possible, we’d still be living in caves. Also in regards to your other comment from before, right now someone could easily just withdraw cash and go gamble with it, does that make the existing gambling block tools useless?

1 Like

I think it would have to come from the individual. It’s easy to say to a professional you’re doing all they ask, while taking money out at an atm. Make professionals aware for sure so they can possibly suggest it

2 Likes

See that’s my thinking is that it only really works for card orientated problems. @Dannytc do you have anything to add to the conversation.

1 Like

You are mixing different things now to try and diminish my opinion.

Aspire to do something - sure. Could it be done? No. For the reasons I set out. You would be laughed out the Tesco boardroom.

Could they employ it in their own Tesco payment system? Totally. You think they are going to give others their data and reduce their income? C’mon now. You need to be realistic.

Edit - not that it matters, because it is all hypothetical. It is just a soundbite from an interview.

1 Like