Fronted

I just moved and went though something like this with homelet. And despite checking the box to say don’t bother me they still did trying to sell insurance and energy. Good idea, hopefully you can provide a competing offer (homelet were no cost to me)

Jumping in to help answer too :wave:

4 Likes

Hey guys,

Great to see different stuff in fintech.

So what do you look for when you get granted full access to someone’s bank history? I’m curious because you would get a terrible understanding of my creditworthiness by looking at one of my bank account’s transactions.

1 Like

Hey, We look holistically at what you can afford to borrow and the financial commitments you currently have. We also use open banking to get information like your name. Part of our hypothesis is because deposits are secured in schemes in the UK, A Fronted deposit isn’t the same as an unsecured loan. Also, because this relates to housing (roofs over heads), we want to make the loans as accessible as possible - whilst remaining responsible.

We think that a traditional score-based decision can penalise people unfairly and can, in some cases, be less informative than using open banking. @simon has a nice phrase: “traditional underwriting is like driving a car only looking in the rear-view mirror”. - I think he got that from someone at Monzo…?

Other benefits include not leaving a mark on people’s credit files which can be a blocker for some people.

1 Like

Good luck guys, definitely a problem that needs solutions and open banking is an interesting route to take!

Will you be considering crowdfunding?

It was @paul :slight_smile:

I like the idea of this,

I once did some work for an estate agent and tenants would moan about having deposits tied up.

Maybe look at an incentive program for the estate agents and maybe even for each personal member of staff for referrals.

Was there a reason for the .xyz domain out of interest?

also your forum bio is monzo

What happens if you don’t get accepted onto the sandbox scheme? :eyes:

It’s a pretty cool new domain and not every english word has been taken already. Google’s parent company is https://abc.xyz and i really like a couple of companies that were already on .xyz including
yobota.xyz and starship.xyz

1 Like

:scream:

(we have a contingency plan…)

1 Like

We have a plan B, a plan C and a plan D. These routes aren’t as perfect as the sandbox route (which isn’t entirely perfect because of the user caps) and vary between speed to market and cost.

1 Like

Excellent idea. Just need to dismantle the letting agents who charge stupid fees for everything.

3 Likes

Why is it called Fronted? Front money as in lend? “I need a fiver for the bus can you front me the money and I’ll pay you back”

I thought fronted was slang to describe when someone becomes hostile after being triggered. Confronted. #downwiththekids

Double Fronted ? :thinking:

There has been some good movement on this kind of practice in the UK. The Tenant Fees Act introduced this summer has some great consumer protections.

You were right with the first guess. Plus, the ‘double fronted’ secondary meaning is a nice bonus.

See also: ‘in front’ etc. What do you think, d’you like it?

1 Like

I should also mention - we are looking for people who want to user test the product in its earliest form… if you fancy volunteering some of your time to help us out, please let me know :+1:We’d really appreciate it.

I would love to/would be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Happy to help where i can :slight_smile:

Moving in Jan and yet to front the deposit. From what you said above, it’s too early for you, but happy to help in other capacities if you need it?

We might ‘observe’ your move, if that’s not too much? Understand fully the steps you go through, chronology of events, blockers, hold ups, estate agent demands, landlord contact… we will likely do this with a couple of people (and I might move in feb time) just so we can get a good story board of typical moves. Up for that?

Great @AnthonyMann can you add Tom onto your list? :innocent: