Freetrade: Free Share Trading

Investing in what?

If its for direct shares then freetrade currently has no platform fees if you are fine having the orders run at 4pm. If you want to invest in funds, then you might also consider vanguard. They are much more well established, have money, and a good platform, more features, (but only offer vanguard funds).

1 Like

Thank you for taking the to respond to my post, its much appreciated.

Ill take a look around their forums for beginner investing. Ill keep an eye out for the referral codes.

2 Likes

Just DMed you one :grin:

1 Like

Think most of Vanguard is on Freetrade now tbh and iShares too.

Freetrade much more accessible then Vanguard. Same prices.

And when the new investment platform is complete there will be thousands more

If you are investing a small amount a month (like I am) then there’s more than enough choice to start off with

I’m just waiting for ISA transfers, I’ve even asked if they’d let me test it for them!

2 Likes

Whats vanguard ?

Thank you for the code.
Can i ask how much u put on a month and on what. You can dm me the info if u dont want it public :slight_smile:

It’s an investment company. They bundle shares up into Exchange traded funds (etfs) which you can buy from them or others (like Freetrade)

Vanguard are a very large American investment advisor. Essentially they produce exchange traded funds and mutual funds that you can buy parts of.

I started off at £30 a month and now I’m doing about £50.

I mainly invest in ETFs, a mix of different regions (like China and Japan) and some funds like renewable infrastructure, which is a collection of companies involved in renewable energy.

I don’t try and pick stocks as that’s more luck than judgement imo

Obviously not investment advice, do your own research :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, but freetrade lacks in features, its app only, doesn’t have the ability to transfer in or out, an ISA costs which is isnt suitable for the OP (free with vanguard).

Freetrade is good for some things and not good for others, so those options should be shown.

Vanguard is a large investment group who have been around for years. In the UK and US they offer accounts for individual investors. In the UK offering ISA investment accounts to invest in Vanguard funds.

I assume judging by the amounts in question @Netcruiser2k10 has a while to go yet before needing to worry about an ISA.

That said, for some people going direct to the source is definitely the best option.

1 Like

Freetrade doesn’t have Vanguard’s Lifestrategy funds. In my opinion these are more accessible than company stocks or ETFs for beginners.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s a fair point. Lifestrategy is a very popular fund. Have Freetrade commented why they don’t include this? Or is it an exclusivity thing?

Perhaps but if you don’t use it you lose it as well. These are almost always for long term saving and investment, and you cant be sure that the future will make room to put extra into a ISA, be that because of income, or what the ISA limit is changed to.

Its a consideration.

The Lifestrategy funds are very good, and honestly a great recommendation for someone just starting investing and not knowing to much yet. There simple, and they don’t suffer to much.

There not exclusive to Vanguard themselves. No idea why freetrade don’t have them though.

2 Likes

The Lifestrategy funds are OEIC funds. Freetrade have decided they are not going to support OEIC funds.

2 Likes

Yeah the reasons are in this post

2 Likes

My best-performing stock, percentage-wise, is the random one I made my very first purchase with to test the waters with how everything worked. That is currently up 13%

My carefully studied and selected stocks? None of those are anywhere near double-digit increases, and the worst is -16% :cry:

The ETFs are steadier, most roughly up an average of 2% - but that’s exlcuding the China one which I clearly bought into at just the wrong time (before Trump’s surprise sanctions).

Trump’s also to blame for my worst £ (as opposed to %) loss, as his Cuba embargo took away part of the market. Though in this case I did purchase some more shares after, as I think there’s still something to be had there. But - going back to where I started, I could be horribly wrong and should’ve chucked the money at something random instead!

(Disclaimer: haven’t specifically named anything as I don’t want any of this to be mistaken for advice! Also I’m still in the ‘just playing’ stage as I’m waiting for a savings account to mature; that will be going almost all on balancing the portfolio to ETFs so that when I do dabble with individual stocks I’ll have a margin of safety (I hope) - at the moment I’m overall a few pounds down.)

tl;dr, nobody knows anything, track the market with WTFs ETFs instead of trying to pick winners (you can’t pick winners), and remember that “Time in the market beats timing the market”.

4 Likes

Now that is great advice :joy:

6 Likes