Formula 1

Yh never expected that one to go through, that one was reaching. We’ll patiently await the next one but I think deep down we know the answer

Max is World Champion. 2nd Merc protest was rejected. Awkward.

Second one also rejected. The text of the decision is interesting. I wonder whether Mercedes will concede, or take things further over the coming days?

I fully expect them to go to CAS

They’ll keep going and won’t get anywhere.

That’s just describing formula 1 in general

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting to be able to watch the race in UHD but Sky broadcast it for free today :slight_smile:

Controversial result but I was rooting for Max, so happy with it. Twitter looks like Usenet did after the Schumacher/Hill “coming together” in Adelaide back in 1994 :laughing:

1 Like

Before I say this, I should point out that I’m a McLaren fan. Whether Max or Lewis wins doesn’t matter to me at all, and today aside Max has driven the wheels off the Red Bull car this season and is a worthy winner.

But I just can’t see this being the end of it without it going to some sort of impartial body to decide. Daimler literally sell cars off the back of their F1 success so the championship is big business, not to mention the prize money too.

The decision today can also be summed up as:

FIA: “We have investigated ourselves and have found no wrongdoing”

3 Likes

Didn’t see the race, so would someone bee so kind and tell me what Mercedes are actually protesting about?

Sky sports News are reporting there’s another protest from Mercedes!

1 Like

Where to start, Lewis was 11 seconds ahead on the track, Latifi crashed and caused a safety car, Max pitted for fresh tyres, Lewis couldn’t without losing track position, Masi said no lapped cars would be able to overtake and unlap themselves, Christian Horner had a whinge, Masi changed his mind and only let the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen in lap themselves and pulled the safety car straight in with 1 lap to go and left Lewis in a 1 lap shootout with Max who had fresh soft tyres and Lewis had old Hards.

The rules basically state no lapped cars overtake or all should, and if they do the safety car should end after the following lap, if either of those rules had been obeyed then Lewis would’ve won, instead Masi made up his own rules

4 Likes

Thank you :+1: :+1: :+1:
Explains an awful lot as to why there have been protests.

2 Likes

The actual ruling is “any” not “all” which is the ultimate in penance, but this is what they’ll argue.

1 Like

Yh I know, this is where it’s just silly, I think most people would expect it to mean all and I also personally don’t remember a race before where they handpicked what cars could unlap themselves

So there was 3 other cars that didn’t get let through, I guess that’s because there wasn’t time/space before the end of that lap as it seemed such a rush.

One second nothing is happening, then there’s cars overtaking to get through, safety car going in and all hell breaking loose.

What is the actual wording? I can’t find it via a google!

Yh 3 cars weren’t allowed to unlap themselves, but one of the main points here is the safety car is not supposed to end until the lap after that. It’s just Masi caving to peer pressure like he has done all season

1 Like

Mercedes have tweeted it here:

3 Likes

Good thread:

2 Likes

I’m furious. It’s the one thing we didn’t want, the result to be decided by the stewards/Masi.

Hamilton beat Verstappen on the track over 50-odd laps. The race should’ve just finished behind the safety car. No controversy, simple. Alright, Spice Boy would probably whine about it, but no roles would’ve been broken and there would’ve been nothing to appeal over.

BBC live reportage says the consensus between teams in the paddock is that’s how it would’ve ended had it been any race other than a championship decider.

Curiously despite all the column inches in the week up to the race, the one person who is pretty much blameless in this is Max. He did his job and drove, it’s not his fault that the FIA fixed the result for him. It’s just a shame that his first championship will have a giant asterisk next to it in the history books.

The saga clearly isn’t over, Mercedes can’t let this life. But equally clear that the result will not be overturned whatever happens now.

3 Likes