Flybmi

Seen Starling on Twitter but nothing from :monzo: ?

1 Like

This is for monzo plus customers only now :joy:
On a serious note, maybe monzo searched and no flybmi customer paid via them?

2 Likes

Itā€™s in the help section of the app

2 Likes

Ah, was thinking of something more proactive

This may be a silly question, but on what basis would Starling be refunding people? Are they donā€™t it out of their own pocket?

MasterCard chargeback Iā€™d expect

1 Like

Ah, interesting. Strong message from Starling given that the chargeback process isnā€™t guaranteed to work, then. Hopefully it works out OK for them,

1 Like

Our policy on all ā€œgoods and servicesā€ chargebacks is to raise the chargeback and refund the customer if they win :+1: Chargebacks are a voluntary scheme so we donā€™t have to raise them (but of course we try to do so in as many cases as possible to help customers) and it isnā€™t a great customer experience giving the customer their money back and then having to come and collect it a couple of months down the line if their chargeback fails :disappointed:

I think weā€™ve not been proactive about this on social media as I donā€™t expect FlyBMI make up a huge proportion of the transactions we process and we wouldnā€™t be processing any of the actual chargebacks through to Mastercard until next week anyway. Weā€™re low on COps over the weekend so it makes sense for us to reach out when we can actual deal with the inbound demand! :sweat_smile:

I expect we may reach out to everyone who used FlyBMI recently and check whether they are eligible but there hasnā€™t been a huge amount of discussion about it internally to be honest as itā€™s not ā€œon fireā€ :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Iā€™m intrigued as to why Monzo is expected to be making a press statement for this?

I suspect because in other similar situations they have. It doesnā€™t mean they are somehow obliged to, but there is a sort of precedent/expectation etc

3 Likes

Should be a reminder to always use a credit card for flight bookings, especially if over Ā£100.

Be interesting to see how many claims are successful for these types of refunds, similarly from N26, where you are forced to use a debit card to pay, for the travel insurance to be valid.

2 Likes

To most people, the fact they didnā€™t say anything was likely not a surprise (more because they just wouldnā€™t have thought about it more than anything else).

But my first thought when I saw Starling post last night, was,

ā€œWow, Starling have got ahead of the game for the first time everā€, as they normally trail Monzo by a good number of hours for anything like this.

So as @coffeemadman said, for a very small minority of forum dwellers and social media hawks, Monzo has set the bar so high on communication like this, that any time they are perceived to have ā€œmissed a beatā€, itā€™s ampliphied by their past success.

But, like I said, Iā€™m sure the very few people who notice things like that, arenā€™t going to be too worried :grin:

6 Likes