Fintech, a bubble about to burst?

If it’s in the case of Barclays, or Barclaycard in particular, an app that doesn’t work on Android 10 :laughing:

3 Likes

Does it not even open?

So glad to be rid of Barclays :joy:

Still, I’m sure they will do an ad campaign when they fix it, like it’s something unique to them

1 Like

It gives you a little tease of the logo and bam! back to the homescreen it goes!
Lots of automated texts from them to apologise that the app won’t be working on Android 10 haha.

1 Like

“Sender doesn’t support replies” That was a very, very good idea :joy:

1 Like

It was a hint of sarcasm…

For me personally it’s about trust and legacy. Had it for a long time bills come out of it it’s all set up - I know about the current account switch scheme makes their easier.
My high street bank isn’t going to go bust over night, they don’t need huge amounts of investment they already have it by the bucket loads. High street banks can copy and will copy (quicker, easier, and faster) if something takes off.
My other main draw is it has a local branch I can easily pay money in and speak to a real person almost straight away. Find that they can’t do enough for customers.
Flexibility- I can go online I don’t need to have an app installed or I can call them as well.
I have a 0% overdraft and can help with credit score keeping old accounts open.

1 Like

Copy, not innovate though :wink:

1 Like

Indeed. But why innovate when you can shift the risk elsewhere is probably their thoughts.

It’s great that other banks are finally starting to follow suit with the changing times of finances.

What I think the problem with current legacy banks is though, is that their infrastructure behind their IT systems are so outdated/backlogged, that it would take some time to completely refresh their current offerings (i.e their applications).

It’s certainly starting to show some sort of light with legacy banks (Barclays app for example has seen some significant changes), but I still feel they are holding back a little because of the whole mentality with them where if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I think it won’t take too much longer for other legacy banks to catch up with the current offerings of fintech, but I feel it’s going to be a constant catch up with them. You are right in saying though that it is about trust, and comfort with legacy banks. They know that their customers rely on them (and have done for a long time), and can trust that their money is safe, and the service will always be there.

But, with the recent IT fiasco that happened with TSB, I think their core had been shaken a little, so progress might have slowed in that sector. Of course, I’m massively speculating here but that’s my current view on the whole thing! :grinning:

5 Likes

Everyone does that, even Monzo.

You generally don’t push untested or half baked features to millions of users. That’s why they tend to have significant test periods for that stuff. That said no bank is perfect. Pingit thought seems to be a good indication of the potential future of Barclays.

I think new banks like Monzo and Starling can get away with this a little bit as they have more forgiving customers, but that will probably only last for so long.

What we’ll probably find is some of this old equipment will never go offline, as they run the underlying infrastructure of the entire countries banking. You wrap it in a black box and modernise around it. But that happens because the saying is true, if its not broke don’t fix it. And these huge old systems aren’t broke, they have decades of perfecting the system under them, and just chug along.

On the user facing side though that’s a different story, and i think your right they are catching up. the Problem i suppose for Monzo and Starling is the big banks have just insane amounts of money they can put towards it, and newer banks have hit the problem of getting the basics right.

The problem is that a fancy new kind of works feature from a new bank isnt going to be good enough in the long run. Maybe newer banks can push out features faster, but if they cant get the basics right, why would anyone use them? And that seems to be Monzos (at least) current problem. I think we’re in a position at the moment where there’s some time to get ahead of the game still before the larger banks either take over tech wise, or buy out the new banks. Hopefully there’s still enough time left.

1 Like

Very intresting points, and i am in agreement. No bank is perfect both have the advantages or why would we even consider Monzo? :grinning:

An app that works on my iPhone and my iPad!

3 Likes