Drunk Mode - Temporary Card Freeze

They would only need to know that your tab as been updated, not why because you’ve maxed out your Monzo card. Although as Monzo becomes more popular, they may catch on :thinking: Also it wouldn’t always be drink that maxes out the limit, as you may have ordered food before or with your drink too.

Yes, very common to do a pub crawl or visiting a pub and/or restaurant before heading to a club.

Although this could easily be done via the search feature in Monzo (soon to be on Android), but maybe not so easy after several pints.

1 Like

Ah I see, I thought you meant the bartender could be notified that you’d reached your spending limit! Yes, automated tab settlement (& closure) would be good :thumbsup: & I’m sure it would save bartenders some hassle.

There obviously does need to be a decent app for this though, as you said :arrow_down:

1 Like

Haha! I can see how that would open us up to some pretty judgy looks and not really necessary for them to know.

Cool, now we’ve just gotta find the right app and approach the developers, or design and develop it ourselves. Certainly wouldn’t mind helping out with that :smiley: :open_hands:

1 Like

How about after a certain time, each time you buy a drink you automatically donate the same amount to a random charity.

If I got a notification to say I had donated £10 to the Republican party, I would soon sober up.

3 Likes

Turns out there’s actually a lot of options to help us spend less

1 Like

This is a slightly different way to solve this use case but we now have a way to get the same result :slight_smile:

The app doesn’t let you spend money from your Pots (out now for users of the test app so coming very :soon:) so if you’re going out, just transfer all the money you don’t want to spend into a Pot & then your remaining balance will be all you can spend :boom:

The only thing is, there doesn’t seem to be a workaround for this problem

so if your battery dies, you’ll have to find another way to contact the support team in order to spend the money that’s in your Pots..

1 Like

Has someone been watching “The Interns” :wink:

There is actually an implementation of this already, if anyone fancies getting their hands a bit dirty.

I made it back at Mondo Hack 4 - https://github.com/billinghamj/mondo-antidrunkspend

It’s very simple - just freezes your card if you exceed the predefined threshold. Can be set up against your personal account in a few mins if you grab a refresh token for yourself from the Monzo dev website: https://developers.monzo.com

If you do need to spend any more money, you can just unfreeze it. It’ll re-freeze pretty much immediately after the transaction is authorised, but no reason you can’t just keep undoing it if you need to.

2 Likes