Does having a pot with a 5,000 word name cause any problems?

Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

Apparently you can get a 25 page statement with a long pot name. How exciting

8 Likes

Slow day at work? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It might cause some funky UI issues, but it should let you.

Why donā€™t you name it after this word:

3 Likes

Wow, my pot name only has 28,729 letters.

What do you mean ā€œrediculous pot namesā€ - Itā€™s clearly my savings fund to get swole while I build up my protein suppliesā€¦

4 Likes

Technically no, UI wise I believe itā€™ll cause some problems as itā€™s a bit ugly.

If you manage to make your pot name 2^31 characters long, then there will be some problems :sweat_smile: This is the maximum length of a string :frowning:

However I expect the problem will be an error on your phone. Something along the lines of ā€œsorry, canā€™t do it :person_shrugging:ā€

3 Likes

Sounds like a challenge! Could a modern iPhone CPU even cope with handling that many at once?

Could the Monzo app? :thinking:

1 Like

Nope. Tried it. Crashed my phone.

2 Likes

Theoretically, yes.

The maximum length of a string in Swift (and thus iPhone) is 2^64 per ios - In Swift 2.0 what is the maximum length of a string? - Stack Overflow

3 Likes

Perhaps, but in practice, probably not.

I didnā€™t even get to a billion in my own pi digit generator app before it hung and crapped out. Phone felt like it was on fire. And thatā€™s on a 14 Pro max dev device.

1 Like

OK I crashed a chrome tab trying to generate a string over >10M characters, so it might take me a while, but challenge accepted.

2 Likes

You could say my activity metric will be below 85% today.

5 Likes

:eyes:

I would follow this:

And then just append an extra char on the end (so its over the 32-bit limit)

1 Like