Does anyone know if withdrawing cash from the Halifax Clarity Credit Card negatively effects my credit Score?

As the title says, I am wondering if I should avoid withdrawing money from my credit card? There is no fees with this card, but someone said it runs down your credit score, is there any truth in this?

the best way around this is to use a curve card all transactions comes out like a card payment including cash withdrawal and you won’t get charged for cash withdrawal from Halifax

Edit: It looks like I’m way off and withdrawing cash has no discernible impact on your score.

Experian says that although taking out a cash advance is taking out more credit, so will effect the score, it’s not marked to other lenders as anything different than the regular balance. From here: What Is a Cash Advance and How Does It Work? - Experian

Short answer: no it won’t have any extra impact on your credit score by withdrawing. It’ll have the same effect as owing money on the card in any other way.

Typically withdrawing cash with a credit card is know as a cash advance.

Cash advances are seen to lenders as the customer being in dire straits, as it’s likely the customer has no other way of accessing cash, and does negatively impact your credit score.

Whether Halifax marks them as such, without any existing customers telling you it didn’t in their case - it’s impossible to know. Halifax touts their card as a great card to use abroad (with the fee free cash withdrawals), so I’d find it weird if it’s treated like a regular credit card in this instance, rather than a card to use abroad.

1 Like

This definitely used to be true. I was under the impression Curve had changed this so that cash withdrawals were flagged to the card provider correctly.

2 Likes

I know Tesco use to charge for using curve to withdraw cash, other cards not that I know of because I use to withdraw a few times and wasn’t charge for cash withdrawals

If I recall correctly, Tesco charged (or tried to) for all transactions using Curve. At about the same time, Curve changed the information supplied to card providers. Here’s their Fair Use Policy;

ATM credit card withdrawal fair use

Curve strongly discourages using an underlying credit card in order to withdraw cash. Please note that your underlying credit card issuer may charge you fees for making such transactions with your Curve card.

In addition to the above fees, Curve may charge you an additional 2% for withdrawals above £200 (or currency equivalent) per calendar month, when using a credit card as the underlying card. Please note that this not a limit per credit card, but a cumulative for all credit card withdrawals using your Curve card in a calendar month. This charge does not apply to ATM debit card withdrawals.

Our platform uses third-party systems to identify whether the Funding Source is a debit or credit card. If you believe your card has been incorrectly defined you should contact us at: support@curve.app, where you will be required to provide evidence as such in order for your case to be investigated.

As I said, that’s all my recollection. If you have recent direct experience of using a credit card with Curve for ATM withdrawals without credit card charges or interest being applied, then the above is all moot. :+1:

ok I see, good to know, I haven’t really withdraw cash in some time now but I won’t now I know this

Cash advances show up on your TransUnion credit report. My credit card was used fraudulently for several cash withdrawals earlier this year, and it definitely adversely affected my score with Credit Karma.

Although whether or not it would have made any difference to my chances of getting credit is impossible to say

2 Likes

A few simple points from my experience, and assuming this is UK based:

Withdrawing cash is just about the most expensive way to use your credit card. Your card issuer will apply different interest rates to different transactions and cash will normally have the highest rate. That said, when you pay it off they will clear the cash transactions first.

It shouldn’t affect your credit score just because it’s cash, but naturally if you owe more and are closer to your limit this will affect what prospective lenders think of you in terms of risk and what they feel you can afford.

Your credit score isn’t the be all and end all, but it’s a useful guide. Lenders will look at your credit history as a whole before making a decision, but they don’t normally publicise their criteria as it’s usually commercially sensitive information.

Withdrawing cash indicates to lenders that you don’t have any money (debit balances) to spend and so are resorting to credit. Cash advances amounts do show up on your credit reports for lenders to view - I’ve attached mine as an example

People using credit cards for purchases aren’t seen as bad things as people may be using it for points etc.

1 Like

Halifax Clarity was once one of the better options for ATM withdrawals abroad, because it had no fees, as long as you paid off the card the same day because, as with all cash advances, interest is applied from the day of the withdrawal.

But this is all kinda moot since Starling introduced its fee–free foreign ATM withdrawals. Now there’s no need to use Clarity specifically for that purpose, and the potential negatives outweigh the benefit.

3 Likes

Can anyone help me with the account number and sort code for making FPS payments to pay this off?

Is it this?

1 Like

I tried that but Monzo won’t let you use that account number :see_no_evil:

Did you enter your full credit card number as the reference? And definitely 8 0’s as the account number?

1 Like

Why don’t you call Halifax to ask?

2 Likes

Yes.

Not sure how Monzo decide it’s invalid without trying.

Because I’m in the wrong continent and time zone and don’t have good enough Internet for voip.

But thanks for assuming.

Try their twitter , it’s 24/7

Why don’t you call Monzo to ask?