Do I really need a business account?

This is just ridiculous. They have business accounts up and running, they have (and have stuck to) fee-free transactions abroad, they have the Post Office agreement at no cost, they have a Euro account which links to your existing card, they have a US card/account in the works, they have plenty of integrations in their marketplace.

If you don’t like them - fair enough. Let’s not pretend they aren’t doing anything just because you prefer the other colour.

9 Likes

Pretty sure other banks had business accounts and post office before Starling, so not really innovation

EU and US accounts definitely are

Never seen how one of their integrations works, do they have a section in the app that displays all the things you’ve signed up for, like the way pots shows in monzo? Simple 1 click sign up?

1 Like

Starling has fully-functional banking products for both personal and business uses, in some cases superior to Monzo (depends if you care about ATM withdrawals and cash deposits) and actually have decent support (it’s nowhere near Monzo’s support back in 2017, but at least they respond in a timely manner unlike today’s Monzo). I’m not sure what else you expect in terms of innovation?

5 Likes

Don’t expect a response very quickly though - I’ve been on the waitlist for nearly a year now!

3 Likes

I don’t expect anything. There was a claim made that innovation was happening and I wanted clarity about what the innovation was. Or can we not do that now?

1 Like

Sure you can ask however with the follow up … seems nothing less than trolling

1 Like

I’ve always thought Starling is a bit more hybrid bank then Fintech.

Monzo is clear fintech most of its features are technology based. Starling is more banking focussed.

If we’re doing most fin to most tech in my head it’s like:

Legacy banks
Metro Bank
Starling
Monzo

2 Likes

That’s what this place has become if you try to have a discussion that doesn’t conform to the groupthink.

I don’t even know what that means?

If you mean that the founder of Starling comes from a banking background and the founder of Monzo comes from a technology background, then I suspect we’re in agreement. I think the experience on the banking side is what sets the two apart,

1 Like

This is a very interesting opinion. Care to elaborate?

For me, I always consider Monzo and Starling to be basically on par with each other. A notable exception to me perhaps is IFTTT integration, a very ‘tech’ feature.

1 Like

I’ve been proved wrong how exactly? Apart from Starling having other currency accounts along side the existing account – something the likes of HSBC have had for years – there’s been nothing innovative mentioned that I can see.

You have misunderstood. Clearly.

1 Like

Seems everyone has misunderstood you.

The HSBC currency account you’re referring to is an account which can’t be linked to a card, can’t even send/receive payments in real time. Definitely no dynamic card payments dependant on currency. More of a holding account only.

1 Like

I’ve closed this topic temporarily as discussion has strayed off topic. It will reopen tomorrow :+1:

Let’s try to continue this more constructively :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks Lennie
I’m on the business list now. Just curious about the legalities. AFAIK, there’s nothing untoward about using a personal account for sole trader, but if thems the rules, thems the rules.

In my never-ending quest for simplicity, I’m wondering – if I move everything over to a business account, can I use that for every day non-business stuff like groceries? After all, I’m a sole trader, with no employees, so it’s all my money at the end of the day.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 12 hours.

Whilst this thread is still closed:

I’m a sole trader with very very simple business finances. I receive 10-12 invoices a month. I have no expenses or overheads.

I missed or didn’t receive the email clarifying Monzo’s T&Cs regarding sole traders so now I need to cheapest bank account possible that will let my clients pay their invoices by BACS and I can send the total to my personal account.

Do you have any recommendations?
Tide is free, but charges 20p per transaction, so I guess will cost be approximately £1.50 per month more than now? Does anyone here use Tide?

I am gutted by this development because I love the simplicity of having all my finances organised in one place. I also think it’s short sighted of Monzo to drive business away. I don’t think it will encourage people in my position to open business accounts, I think it will cause them to go elsewhere.

As I side note, I have a rental property which is currently paid into my personal account. I don’t know if this is against the T&Cs as well.

Hey, I’ve moved your post back to the original thread as it’s now re opened :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, but I’m specifically asking for recommendations, which I believe is distinct enough to warrant a new thread. Perhaps I should edit the title and post, to make this clear? Or split the post asking for recommendations from the part voicing my opinion?

1 Like

Revolut have a free account but I think it’s 5 transactions per month free. Would suit the rental property though

Heard good things about coconut, but not used it myself

Starling is free

1 Like

I CASS switched my Starling to Natwest for £150 so I think I have to wait for a long time :pensive: