Discuss all about Going Cashless

Not sure which topic to put this in, but I paid some cash into Monzo for the first time ever and it was quite a good experience

I didn’t fancy queuing at the bank on a weekend so decided to go with Monzo. The cashier wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my card but I just had to tell them that I want to top up a couple of times. They tried and it worked. Money in 10 minutes later and I was pleasantly surprised that the £1 fee doesn’t come off the allowance. Not that I’ll need it again, I hope

1 Like

I had to deposit some this week as well, first time in over a year. I do love the convenience of it, PayPoint is easier than post office for me.

Yeah sunday deposits can be one of the nice things about paypoint.

That and some 24hr petrol stations will do it so 24hr deposits.

Some Post Offices are open on Sundays too!

The nearest one to me is inside a Tesco Express and is open on Sunday.

1 Like

Yep, my local Post Office is open on Sundays in a village shop.

I only realised around Christmas that it did.

1 Like

All the ones where I live still close wednesday and saturday afternoon. (One doesnt even open saturdays but the attached shops all open 7 days a week)

Interesting, it must vary based on local demand or something!

Either that or old franchise contracts that the holders are happy with, most likley due to reduced staff requirements and sunday opening not being viable out in the sticks.

1 Like

I have not used cash for exactly a year as of today :slight_smile:

5 Likes
5 Likes

M6 Toll at the weekend, doesn’t take cash anymore and (small) signs when you’re right at the front that they are not accepting ApplePay/GooglePay.

This is why I still carry my cards!

2 Likes

That’s my biggest fear. Or some issue with the terminal whereby I need to stick my card in and use chip and PIN to verify or whatever.

Touch wood I’ve never had an issue in a few years now but I’m still not brave enough. The second I leave my wallet at home is when I’ll need a card from it :laughing:

Also… bit weird that they don’t accept Google or Apple Pay. Surely they must have purposefully restricted those?

2 Likes

I have a feeling it does work, but sometimes I find those metal plate contactless readers can be quite unreliable for phone/watch payments.

They probably mean all of them but nobody cares about the others.

Maybe they’ve disabled it or just put that sign there to get people to pay another way as not to cause congestion.

Because you’re not permitted to use a phone whilst driving, and I expect fiddling with your watch could also be seen as distracted driving. Just a guess

But I doubt the terminal could distinguish between contactless cards and phones

2 Likes

Yeah I guess :man_shrugging:

But in the same way fiddling with your wallet to get your card out is also a distraction. More so because it requires two hands.

I’ve never been through a toll road because I’m too tight fisted, so I will go the long way round :laughing: Someone needs to go test and if they don’t come back we can assume they’re in prison.

2 Likes

I guess it is, but the way these laws are means screen = bad, no matter how simple the action you carry out is or what you are doing at the time you touch your phone.

I don’t fancy 6 points so don’t think I’ll be trying it anytime soon :laughing:

1 Like

Their website says it’s fine

There are three payment options:

1. M6toll TAG (electronic pre-payment method).
  2. Card (credit and debit cards or fuel cards).
  3. Contactless card accepted, simply tap & go.

The sign on the kiosk say it is not :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s not illegal to fiddle with a wallet while driving. That’ll be the issue. Using a phone while driving is illegal and there’s no loophole for paying tolls. In this case, the law is a ass.

That list doesn’t mention Google pay or Apple pay at all. And actually it specifically says ‘Contactless card’ (emphasis mine).

On top of which, their FAQ page has the answer to a “Why don’t you accept Android (sic) and Google pay?” question.

4 Likes

To which the answer is:

:soon: ? :laughing:

3 Likes

Ahh, my mistake! Didn’t read it properly!