Direct Debits & Standing Orders (recurring payments) Feedback

Does anyone else have this issue? Each month my direct debits posted to my account are assigned as General and I have to manually change each one to Bills.

The following month it happens again as they are never rememberd to be set to the Bills category.

I have raised this with Support and they are looking into it for me, but just wondered if anyone else experienced the same.

3 Likes

Yes I have the same issue

That’s interesting as the support chat told me that the DD category should be remembered and automatically assigned next time. Sounds like a bug then?

It’s on all of them…

Same here all DD’s get assigned as General; and I have to change the category each month.

Ideally there should be an option in the DD list to select each DD, create a “friendly” name for it, choose the default category and add notes.

I have the same issue with all of mine

It was raised some time ago on another thread>>

1 Like

How would I change the category within the Android app?

Doing it on one of the transactions for that DD, just as you would any other transaction.

I get this on regular bank payments too. I’ll select the category after the payment goes through on the pop up screen, but it doesn’t seem to actually apply the category unless i go into the transaction and change it again.

1 Like

That happens to me too. Have to change it twice.

1 Like

Another couple of nice to haves would be the ability to set a limit on each DD, say 100£ per calendar month, and a confirming new DDs before they become active.

Sorry can I ask how you can set a DD limit. My understanding has always been that DDs are usually variable amounts taken out by companies depending upon your monthly bill. :neutral_face:

1 Like

That doesn’t stop you from setting a limit. Other banks are doing that :wink:
For example, if you pay around ~50 for your broadband subscription you can set a limit of 100 to account for any extras you may have used during that month.

1 Like

Would setting a limit just not bounce the DD and result in a potential penalty for non payment?

Edit: assuming it was over the limit you set

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had the wrong amount taken from my account by direct debit. Is this not an edge case scenario?

1 Like

Even if there’s ever a mistake you are covered by Direct Debit Guarantee, which states;

• If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
1 Like

Well the limit would be to protect against accidental or fraudulent DD’s taken by companies, so if it was the company’s fault that by accident they overcharged you then I don’t see why they would charge you any penalties, and if it was fraudulent well just don’t pay the penalties either and let the company go to court if they really believe they’re in the right.

And if you don’t know the kids know your pin and have rented £100 of movies legitimately?

Is fraud not covered under the DD guarantee?

Thats easy to fix, sign up to npower :no_mouth:

4 Likes