Curve chat

The transaction becomes “CRV - BP Homestead Rd” for instance. So you’re losing out on a lot of the Monzo data (which is why Monzo should do Gateway Transactions…?) which is a bit bum. But your statement may be no different to using Apple Pay or whatever if your bank tags them like that.

4 Likes

That’s when I use my Monzo card and keep the credit card hidden in an inside pocket and for the same reasons you suggest.

2 Likes

I was a naysayer (probably the first on this forum as I’ve had a Curve card for years) but this is a great write-up of its usefulness.

It’s a shame my main credit card is American Express which was dropped pretty quickly. I think if I was a legacy bank customer across various personal/business accounts I’d still be sold on it.

4 Likes

Ah. That’s OK, then. You really are keen, aren’t you?

I used to carry 7-8 cards daily ‘just in case’ so Curve would have been useful then. I now carry a spending card and a back up card, so implementing Curve would mean I’d carry Curve and a back up card.

So I can see the benefits it has for others, it’s just not for me. :man_shrugging:t2:

You need to be careful too - the chargeback mechanism only covers you for the amount paid on the card.

The Section 75 protection on a credit card gives you protection for the FULL value of the purchase (as long as it was over £100) even if you only put £1 of the purchase on your credit card and the rest on a debit card.

2 Likes

Hence, on balance, I still stick with my original assessment of ‘solution looking for a problem’.

For most people there is no need to consolidate cards, because a debit and credit for larger purchases and backup is sufficient.

Not everyone has a credit card, so consolidating multiple debit cards on to one makes no difference as they don’t have any credit card protection anyway

1 Like

Not here to pick holes, I’m not sure if you meant to use the term Consolidating or something else. I’ve not consolidated any cards, I’ve merely just got one card to access them all. My cards all remain, they are just in a locked box at home rather than in my wallet taking up space. If I want to use a different card, I select it in the app. This isn’t consolidating, I would call it streamlining, not sure how that plays into what you were wanting to say?

I still have my debit cards, my credit cards, they are all still being used - I’m just not carrying them with me everywhere I go. My wallet now consists of my Drivers License, Nectar Card and Curve Card. I like how simple that makes things. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time.

2 Likes

Would you have preferred “physically consolidating cards” as opposed to “consolidating cards”?

Okay, maybe, I see how that works. Shows how differently we all think and approach stuff.

1 Like

Consolidate: combine (a number of things) into a single more effective or coherent whole.

If you still send various payments to different accounts, and check your outgoings in the Curve app, then I would say you’ve consolidated your cards and spending into the Curve card and app.

But my point was, most adults in this country don’t need to do this, because they (statistically speaking) only carry one (two max, sole and joint) debit cards and one credit card.

I found it was more hassle ensuring the right card was selected in the Curve app every time than it was just to pull out the right card I needed.

1 Like

Okay, fair enough. As @Peter_R said I perceived it differently.

1 Like

We replied at the same time. It is interesting how one thing can mean different things to different people. Makes you realise how finely-tuned every selling opportunity must be.

5 Likes

What are “Gateway transactions” ?

1 Like

PayPal, Stripe, Square etc. A payment gateway is a e-commerce service that processes bank card payments for online and traditional brick and mortar stores. Payment gateways facilitate transactions by transferring key information between payment portals such as web-enabled mobile devices or websites and the front end processor or bank.

1 Like

I really want to like Curve.

But the fact that the transactions don’t link to your same spending usage in Monzo, I don’t think I’ll be using it much…

I’m not explaining myself very well…

If I use my monzo card at Tesco I can see all my average spend etc

If I use curve at tesco and pay through monzo, it shows as a totally separate merchant :frowning:

Edit: before anybody explains why this is the case, I already know. It’s just a bit annoying :cry:

Edit 2: once I updated the logo in the app, it seems to have been fixed by Monzo and now shows as the same. Yey :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that we are now a more happy customer ?

1 Like

Definitely

1 Like

Curve just emailed me with a change to the T&C. Two things stand out:

Debit cards instead of prepaid cards
New customers are now getting debit cards instead of prepaid cards. While the Curve app and product remain the same, the expected acceptance rate for debit cards is better. Existing customers will receive a debit card as a replacement card if their card is reported lost or stolen. Please note that the card limits applicable to debit cards may be different to those applicable to prepaid cards, as detailed in the Curve app and our FAQ’s).

This essentially confirms what @anon44204028 told us a while ago, and I think it’s great!

Curve Rewards
Unredeemed rewards will expire 6 months from the date they are added to your virtual Curve Rewards card in your Curve app (you can view your current Rewards balance anytime by scrolling to your Rewards card in the Curve app).

This is a bit of a shame, in some way, as I don’t think these had an expiry date before. But of course given my overall doubts about the sustainability of their business model I have always used my rewards ASAP anyway.

4 Likes

I think it will not only increase acceptance, like they said, but probably reduce possible charges in territories where there is no restriction on charging for use of a card

1 Like