Configurable DCC prevention

(Marta) #21

Hi Allie, welcome to the community! :wave: :slight_smile:

We had a similar (but not the same) discussion before, so I merged your posts with this topic, to keep it’s nice and tidy in one place.

(Allie) #22

Thanks Marta! I looked through quickly, but not well enough I’m afraid, sorry!

(Allie) #23

I’ve been thinking about this… I’m not sure how you’d implement it in the forum, it would seem to be a lot of clutter in the wikis, but a database of all DCC offers would be very helpful! That way, people could search for a country before shopping and get a list of everywhere that offered them DCC and how (active customer choice on screen, active customer choice on paper [risky as not always honoured], cashier choice but actually offered, cashier forced).

It would be so useful… but where?

(Eve) #24

I feel like that would create a lot of confusion (esp if the list went into detail on how to avoid) and might end up giving inaccurate info since even the same chain might have different practices at different locations… everyone’s experience is different too. You might get a particular staff member that selected DCC, others might not. Even within countries, cities differ- Eg with issues of card acceptance, I had no issues in Munich but someone else remarked otherwise when they visited it.

I think a general warning could be included in Wiki like the one you wrote about HK but expecting a comprehensive list of every store and how wouldn’t be feasible.

(Allie) #25

I agree, that’s why I don’t think it would be good for a wikipost. A database of some kind of experiences could be useful. Yes, YMMV, but it would show trends.

For example, watching others check out in Harrods I feel confident to say it is cashier controlled but they always ask.

(Eve) #26

I hope I’m not sounding dismissive but I think most people using Monzo wouldn’t bother, or wouldn’t know/ care to look out for in detail. Many don’t even know DCC exists. Even with each country’s Wiki, unless I’m going to a really obscure place like- North Korea or something- I don’t check it, and I certainly wouldn’t scroll through a massive list of stores to find one I would possibly visit and find out about DCC (?) how would it be arranged? By location (?)

I think @Avishai’s guide is informative enough without needing to go into details about specific shops. I confess I go by the general rule of “always ask to pay in the local currency” instead of bothering about how it’s supposed to work :woman_shrugging:t2:

Mostly just thinking it would be a lot of effort for something that could possibly differ, be difficult to organise, and run the risk of misleading people/ confusing them :thinking: But you seem really enthusiastic about it, so maybe it could be something that exists elsewhere, not affiliated with Monzo so people don’t think it’s an official endorsement/ guarantee that you will be able to skip DCC.

(Allie) #27

Definitely not a guarantee or anything, more like a database of experiences, that could easily have multiple entries per shop.

But how many people would really contribute? It’d take a lot of interest from a wide variety of people to be of value.

I agree totally on always asking to pay in the local currency if you’re in an at-risk situation, which means that my experience can be very different from others. For some countries, where paper slips are used (like Hong Kong) or the card is taken away (like US restaurants) it’s Amex-only time (I’ll be sad if MBNA ever discontinues the Everyday Plus…).

(iain may) #28

I was thinking about this just today. I could really use having DCC locked out, even if that is something I have to configure manually.

DCC serves no other purpose than to rip people off. I have yet to see a bank offer such god awful rates that DCC would ever be attractive.

Basically, offer the feature as a switch with a currency (or list) associated with it, then reject all transactions that are not in the specified currencies while the switch is enabled.

Problem solved. Gougers cry, Monzo users happy. Win win.

(Edouard) #29

It would be good to avoid this kind of situations: Trying to pay with my Australian card in Europe. I want to pay EUR and not in my card’s currency, as it offers 0% FX fees. And the messaged displayed is so confusing it is impossible to know which button to select.

YOU CAN PAY EITHER : AUD / EUR
You select: NO or YES ?

Well in this case to pay in EUR I had to select Yes! About $50 FX fees if you would select No…

(Allie) #30

That would have thrown me off, and I’d have got scammed - and I think I’m pretty good at seeing these. Hitting no to accept conversion? That’s pathetically low!

I have seen screens with double negatives on, and screens when you select your choice and then you get a confirmation screen worded differently where the Yes/No choices are toggled so if you don’t select the other button that time you effectively have ended up choosing the wrong choice. To pick Yes Yes or No No makes sense but to pick Yes No or No Yes (I can’t remember which it was) was confusing. I ended up cancelling the transaction and putting the card in and slowly going thru the screens again, reading it all very slowly, and I still was not sure what they were asking, all I knew was they were trying to confuse me and bounce me unto something I did not want. So I just removed my card and went to another machine which was as clear as day. So these screens are not accidentally or unintentionally confusing but designed to be that way to catch out as many people as possible.

(Allie) #32

Definitely. They’re intentionally deceptive. But if the card networks try to do anything about it ‘consumer protection’ (aka merchant protection) organisations start suing them for being ‘anti-competitive’.

(iain may) #33

I don’t see how, if the user has to enable the feature then it’s clear they don’t want the so called competition.

I’d love to see them argue this in court though, it’s clear that the feature has the sole purpose of ripping people off.

(Marta) #34

Interesting example! I think in this case, UI of the terminal/buttons is the restriction here. If you think of ‘yes’ and ‘no’ as ‘pick this’ or ‘pick this’, then it makes sense.

AUD				EUR
pick this			pick this
(no)				(yes)

but it could be:

AUD				EUR
pick this			pick this
(yes)				(no)

So it’s different format of the screen, not tricky question. Because there is no question… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Can I use your photo in my DCC guide? It’s a pokemon I haven’t collected yet!

(Edouard) #35

Yes, enjoy!
Fortunately for the hotel, they told me which option to pick at it was impossible to know which option to pick. Otherwise they would have enjoyed a nice chargeback a few days later.

(Nick) #36

The amounts appear to be aligned above the relevant buttons, so if you ignore the wording on the buttons then I think I could infer which option to go for.

There’s no doubt it’s confusing, though, and I think it’s down to trying to building increasingly complex solutions into a system that was never designed for them (in this case presumably the button labels are hardcoded so can’t be rewritten on the fly to have accurate labels like AUD on the left and EUR on the right)