Collected thoughts on card design

Have a feeling these ones are likely to be fairly close to what we’ll get for the child and co card too.

Not expecting the background to change much from the current design, if at all, but can see them repositioning the elements so they look like the Ulster layout.

Not sure how well that’ll look. the full child & co logo is a little longer, and it suits being left-aligned. Might wind up looking both out of place and cramped if it follows the rather consistent layout guideline we’ve seen from the other brands.

2 Likes

I think you make good points, especially this:

It all depends on whether they require Child & Co to follow the corporate style or not, as they haven’t done even remotely in the past (so they do sometimes get allowed to have total autonomy, it seems). However, at least some of the elements seem likely to be locked-in.

They seem to want the Mastercard logo on the left above the chip, as you say, which only really leaves the top right side for branding. I agree that pasting the current Child & Co marigold logo there would probably look lob-sided.

Then the background would, quite possibly, still be the dark blue gradient - but they may want to refresh that to make it more obvious that it’s a new card. That sort of thinking is primarily for retail banking, so I don’t think it’s necessarily likely, and I think it’s a strong existing design so they will hopefully try to keep the overall style the same.

The colourful Mastercard logo is also likely to look much worse than the white Visa one; Chase got around this with the elite logo, but clearly that is very unlikely.

All of that aside, I do actually quite like the Ulster designs (the current serviceCard is a disaster) and after the initial tease of the NatWest card (which I also didn’t rate) I’m pleasantly surprised overall. Although I liked the beach hut, the new RBS designs aren’t bad either. It seems a bit odd that they changed them last minute, but that was most likely due to a corporate diktat that cards stay landscape for consistency?

3 Likes

Looks quite nice. I prefer the RBS cards but these are miles better than NatWest’s card. These are the only one of the three that has the name of the bank on it. Maybe due to RBS and Ulster having the same symbol in their logo?

1 Like

The more I see these the more I hate all three designs from the NatWest Group. They’re all so random, and feel ‘chucked out’. What have they got to do with anything, and why is George from Rainbow hiding on the Ulster one?

1 Like

I think this is my favourite design from NatWest Group and hope they do something similar with Child & Co – or at least that they bring the logo a bit more in focus

1 Like

The Natwest one is from their current branding and advertisement designs so that feels less random. The RBS photos do seem random but they do look nice. I’m not entirely sure what Ulster’s design is, but it looks decent.

1 Like

Absolutely repulsive. All four of them.

1 Like

A photo of the Natwest card in real life has emerged.

From New design of the NatWest Debit Mastercard in case anyone's interested — MoneySavingExpert Forum

1 Like

That is revolting. I hope it’s just the light the photo was taken in, otherwise the colours are nothing like the renders

4 Likes

It’s the yellow colour for me. It’s hideous.

Another poorly aligned chip!

Which reminds me! Received a new Revolut card (standard) the other week. First card I’ve received in ages where chip alignment was perfect. Step your game up everyone else!

2 Likes

It reminds me of those awful plastic cards you used to get with the digital Monopoly and Game of Life sets that were trendy what, 10 years ago?

3 Likes

Yes, back when credit cards were thought of as “trendy”.

The more I look at it the more I hate it. There’s enough room in the lower left corner to park a lorry, so why did they have to put the MasterCard logo in the upper right corner?

Why did they put the NatWest logo in a weird squircle? It is how I imagine the NatWest app icon looks on Samsung phones

The card feels terribly top-heavy and unbalanced, not to mention the hideous colours

4 Likes

My guess is that it was to avoid the card looking uneven (as all the main elements would then have been on the right side).

It hasn’t worked, and a slightly uneven design would be better than what they’ve ended up with, but you can see the logic they probably had at the time.

3 Likes

Oh dear :joy:

1 Like

Me too, although I think I do remember seeing this elsewhere in adverts (I think a newspaper ad used it) so it’s not a brand new version of their branding.

It seems to be a new-ish stylised form of the logo, which is increasingly being used. No idea why, when it looks so amateurish; in this case it’s clear something was needed because the background would clash horribly with the chevrons alone, so they seem to have used it as a secondary background without much thought. It does add to the general cluttered feeling, and really makes the card come across as both busy and empty, design-wise, at the same time!

1 Like

They could’ve swapped the yellow and dark purple chevrons, moved the logo to the left a bit, and voila, no need for a separate background! It’s a truly horrible design but I expect they paid hundreds of millions for the rebrand across the different banks in the group

1 Like

Kinda strayed into Daily Heil below the line territory there but I take your point.

You should go and work in marketing or sales!

1 Like