Collected thoughts on card design

If you scroll up this thread and read the post from 15 days ago, it shows HSBC’s new vertical design debit cards.
Is it only the Premier account that’s keeping the landscape design?

I’d like to try one of those machines.

1 Like

This may or may not be relevant, but my real Halifax card has a vertical design, while the Apple Pay representation has a horizontal design.

This seems to be the case with all vertical cards that I have seen in Google Pay.

1 Like

It’s good and very straight forward as you would expect.

Some of the machines outside banks are “smart” too so all the options on the screen once you’ve done this are tailored to your needs.

For example, I always withdraw £20 for the pub pool tournament on Mondays so the first option is a button to withdraw that exact amount. Saves having to go into the withdraw menu and type it in.

3 Likes

Wow, that seems very cool and would save me having to carry my wallet at all

Is that a Halifax credit card? Or debit?

Not quite all, but most.

Virgin Money’s portrait debit cards appear sideways in digital wallets.

1 Like

Where are these machine?! This is what I’ve been wanting for years now!

Is it actually Apple Pay compatible, or are they the proprietary contactless things with various different bank apps on android?

3 Likes

The vending machines are ApplePay too. Well the ones that I’ve seen/used worked fine with my watch.

1 Like

For clarity. I was enquiring about the contactless ATMs!

Edited my post! :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

It has been well over a year (possibly 2 / pre-lockdown) since I’ve used them and I no longer have any other accounts to know if it has changed.

Here is Barclays one. You either need to use your card or their app:

3 Likes

Note Barclays works with Contactless Card or Android App.

I do not believe it works with neither their Apple Barclays App, nor with Apple pay, nor Google Pay.

3 Likes

Separately I think Santander newer cash points can do anything with Contactless Card.

Not sure if it can be done via app / Apple pay / Google pay. I think it was only using physical card contactless.

2 Likes

That’s right, they aren’t compatible with Google Pay or Apple Pay.

We need a standardised Mastercard and Visa ATM mode, although I’m not sure what the incentive would be for banks.

3 Likes

Not sure how much of an incentive, but it gives them viable justifiable cause to ditch free physical cards as standard by default. Saves them money, helps the planet, and we get a better cardless contactless experience. Everyone wins, I think, besides those who don’t have a smart phone, so certainly something neobanks could push for.

I think the contactless ATM infrastructure in Europe is the big enabler for N26 to have been able to do what they’ve done with their 100% digital standard account.

1 Like

Not really, otherwise RBS and NatWest could have already done it!

And what about vulnerable/elderly customers who may not have a smartphone?

1 Like

Just had an email from HSBC - it seems they really are going with this type of card, the image behind the logo is different but it seems they are still putting it in the way of the chip.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a shame!

2 Likes

You still offer those a card of course. I think it’s a transition we’d be ready for and could embrace if we had the ATM infrastructure to support it.

Banks have the telemetry to know who would or would not need a physical card. They’ll know if someone is signing up via an app or in branch, they’ll know if that person is using Apple Pay or Google Pay for all their transactions.

Mobile wallet usage is growing rapidly in the UK too. Online it’s now the most popular method of paying. I suspect it’s similar in shops too, but much harder to identify a trend there as the data I’ve looked at just lumps them into contactless payments generally.

There is a white paper from ecommpay that goes into more detail here though:

https://ecommpay.com/whitepapers/online-business-after-brexit/?utm_source=press-release_bulk&utm_medium=whitepaper&utm_campaign=brexitwhitepaper

There’s also this report from Boku that looks at the potential future projected growth of mobile wallets. They take a more global view, but do narrow in on UK usage too, particularly in response to the pandemic

Western Europe’s usage is already quite high relative to other parts of the world, and the key difference I’ve noted between the uk and the rest of Western Europe is our lack of contactless ATMs which support mobile payments.

I think cash will have some role to play for the foreseeable, but not debit cards. Debit cards can’t replace every cash based scenario, but mobile wallets have the potential to replace debit cards in every scenario you’d want to use them, and I think that’s key. Death will inevitably correct for inertia.

2 Likes