Chip and pin declined after £100; too low with coronavirus

What about the login security? Same as all my banking apps in terms of logging on with fingerprint.

I know there are magic links but I haven’t used anything other my finger print in months for all my banking apps

They all use the so-called ‘magic links’? Which banks are those then? Presumably not the big four or five.

2 Likes

What banks? None of the big ones use JWTs for login. Most have outdated things like passwords and security questions that are both insecure and inconvenient. Some make this even worse by not letting you type them with your phone’s keyboard (a usability and accessibility nightmare)!

5 Likes

100% a quality I like to see in my bank. :+1:

Agree with everything you say, and good to see you again @GalaxyMergirl

A reminder to everyone who seems to get squeamish about using a PIN pad: You’re already in a shop handling items which could also be contagious. A PIN pad doesn’t increase the risk at all. And remember, you can even pick up coronavirus from your own phone. Stop worrying about PIN pads, and just keep washing your hands – a message that has been lost in all the hubub over the last couple of weeks!

10 Likes

My take on it is this is a direct symptom of the slow nature of roll out of regulations and directives from the EU. (Not that that is inherently a bad thing).

the Regulations relating to Stronger Customer Authentication were first proposed in Oct 2015, with an approx 4 year timeline for implementation once passed (bringing us to Sept 19). That draft came out when contactless was a relatively low usage in the UK vs now, and before mobile device payments were in the EU.

I’m sure there was some future proofing built in to them, but I do wonder if they are a bit of relic of their adoption rates at the time.

Every bank has to have a £135 limit, unless (as stated above) they have agreed to temporarily increase that due to the current situation - however there is risk associated with this as to whether it’s actually allowed or not.

Of the £100, no idea. I don’t think banks would be as open as Monzo are about it. Not many have made it clear what their limit is at all, with most just communicating out to people saying that you may have to insert your card at times.

Looks like Monzo has upped the SCA contactless limit like starling

3 Likes

Good spot :eyes: - my app shows the same.

2 Likes

Tbf they did say

2 Likes

I suspect he didn’t know or they were still being discussed.

Better to stick with what you know is accurate than speculate on what might be.

It was a very strange exchange of posts with posts being flagged for no reason. And Monzo (and every company) should be challenged over things. It doesn’t mean things will change, and I’m not suggesting this thread was the cause of their U Turn whatsoever, but if people, companies and ideas are not challenged we will become a nation of sheeple.

I was directly involved in making this change. But I’m not going to comment on changes we’re making while we’re still getting our regulation and compliance ducks in a row.

Post flagging is done by community members, not me.

13 Likes

woah … " you simply lied " Come on , the guy comes on to give some genuine feedback and you accuse him of simply lying , this is getting ridiculous …and Im now flagging your post

7 Likes

Whoever keeps flagging needs to have their flagging privileges revoked.

You don’t flag a post because you don’t agree or is anti-monzo.

2 Likes

If thats to me Phil , I flagged it because a Monzo staff member comes on to the forum to answer members queries in good faith , in their own time , we crave Monzo staff input , nay demand it - he doesnt report to the community on Monzos every fart and decision pending at board level and he is accused of simply lying …yes Ive flagged it - and I always tell people if I flag their posts, and just to be clear, thats the first post I have flagged in this thread

5 Likes

That’s his decision to come into the forum. We all deserve to be treated nicely. Yes lying is a strong word, not being forthcoming would have probably suited, but it doesn’t warrant flagging a post.

It’s pretty civil and if we start hiding parts of conversations we lose that overall discussion.

and to be accused of simply lying to customers encourages staff members to share their insights on the forum …OK…how many times have you seen posts asking for some feedback from Monzo staff … as I say almost demanding why dont staff come and explain to us … when they do …oh thats just simply lying to customers , because they didnt share sensitive information with forum members

8 Likes

OK, this has crossed a number of lines now so let’s take a break.

As a note, personal attacks (which includes accusing people of lying) are not tolerated on this forum.

As another note, the stuff that’s been flagged reads as generally rude in some way to me so while others may argue that they’ve been flagged ‘for nothing’, that’s purely a personal opinion and isn’t particularly objective.