Chess ♟️

Does anyone play?

Does anyone own any nice fancy sets?

I’m looking for a nice simple one. Had my eye on this for ages, but waited too long and they’re all gone:

https://kalm.design/single-product-page-3/

2 Likes

The only chess I ever played was the windows version back in the early 2000s back when the background was that green hill.

Was it Windows 95? Can you class it as owning a board if its virtual? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

‘Green hill’ was Windows XP (2001) - the most viewed picture ever!

2 Likes

There was a very small blob on the edge of the hill. I persuaded most of my co-workers it was a tank.

1 Like

How much‽

If I needed a chess set I’d go to Argos/Amazon unless I was obsessed with chess

That’s not bad for a quality chess set actually. They can easily start creeping into the thousands.

I don’t just want your basic chess set for kids. But a nice one for the house.

If you really want your mind blown:

And if that’s not enough. Choose the 18K gold, diamond version. :slightly_smiling_face:

Might not be fancy, but it’s homemade…

Got it as a Christmas present, my brother made the board and my dad made the pieces.

9 Likes

That’s actually amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Did you ever get one?

Still on my shopping list!

There were a couple I gravitated towards, but are no longer in production.

These are the ones I have my eye on at the minute but I’m yet to pull the trigger:

The print works ones seem rather nice for a cheaper set.

a modernised traditional aesthetic that looks quite nice.

And a tiny part of me wants to embrace in my inner childhood and go for the official Pokémon chess set:

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/en-gb/product/710-09832/pokemon-chess-set

Or I might just embrace my home now (and love for Harry Potter) and go for Lewis chess set but these are not at all cheap!

TL;DR: still looking for that perfect chess set that just speaks to me, but do have my eye on a couple. I think I will eventually pick up one of those PLA concept ones though.

Those first chess sets you shared are beautiful!

I’ve always wondered about buying a set to have out on my coffee table but don’t want to invest too much incase I never play. If you find any sets as good as the Kalm one you shared I’d be very intrigued!

1 Like

I play chess quite a lot on my PC during work, I was also in the chess club in school. Not owned a physical set since I was a kid though which was plastic!

1 Like

If you are aiming to learn I’d get a basic set with labelled rows (or one where you can stick the row labels on somewhere yourself) and the classic shapes, there’s generally a lot of setting the board up based on computer images, the back of the newspaper etc and you want that to be quick.

You can also get a fancy set just to look at of course :smile: I have a nice set from my parents, it just mainly sits on the shelf and I use the ‘training set’ that’s normally hidden in the cupboard to actually practice.

1 Like

Oh, I already know how to play! It’s probably my favourite board game!

I just want something nice to display, or to bring out when my grandparents visit, because I have an annual game with my grandfather.

I have an antique marble set in storage, which I don’t want to use. It was gifted to me from an inheritance a few years ago. It’s a gorgeous chess set, but not at all my style.

I practice with the chess.com app as opposed to an actual physical board (I live for the puzzles), but do have a couple of cheap standard sets I’ve picked up over the years from small book shops.

2 Likes

Given the amount of money they’re planning to drop on one of these I’d say they must be at least fairly proficient at it.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s any correlation between proficiency in chess and the value of the chess set one owns or is looking to buy :sweat_smile:. Otherwise my dad would be a grandmaster.

6 Likes

Ah fair enough I misunderstood the thread slightly!

I like the idea of a copy of the Lewis chessman, there must be cheaper copies of the set out there although that one does look nice. There’s a good episode of The History of the World in 100 objects on those btw.

The PLA ones look cool, feels like a lot for a 3D printed set but the design is nice. I do think they will discolour fairly quickly though if it’s UV resin.

1 Like

This thread got me wanting a phyiscal chess set. :eyes:

1 Like

I found this cool chess set today, depends if you like the concrete look or not, but it’s unique for sure! Could also be quite confusing till your learn the pieces

3 Likes

I…Did when I was doing some Teacher assistance at a very rough SEND school in Harrogate a few years ago. Class was a bit wacky one afternoon! To calm the class down, I suggested playing chess(even though I’m no Garry Kasparov) …It started off well, until I took a lads pawn legally ….That wasn’t my best day and I didn’t go back! I still have a mark on my forehead from that flying Knight.

It’s a dangerous game you play sir.

1 Like