Chase Bank UK chat

That’s what I thought, the sort code comes back as “government banking” so they seem to own the entire block.

I think they support COP to a degree as usually it’ll say “we couldn’t check these details”, but this came back saying they found an account. I imagine they just return a success response for any account number and it goes into some sort of catch-all system if one of the standard account numbers isn’t used.

Realised it also worked for me in July last year with that incorrect account number so it should be okay :sweat_smile: Considering my first payments in January 2023 were to the wrong account number and had no reference, and they managed to find them, they seem to have a robust system for idiots like me that can’t enter the details correctly :joy:

1 Like

You sent them 8 digits of the reference number, albeit in the account number field. If it was the last 8 that’s probably all that’s likely all they really need.

It’s not as simple as that - the retailer of the tickets can set a flag on your booking that’s either ‘same card’ or ‘any card’.

1 Like

Government Banking Service is part of HMRC

Lots of orgs that own whole blocks and a few oldies literarily accept anythingnas account and reference number. Sometimes it is just sort code and all zeros for account number - which is obviously an invalid one, but hey ho.

So yeah, payee validation is half soft as it doesn’t enforce anything on those things.

That’s why I would prefer to use open-banking payment as it is mediated more strictly of who is paying whom, how much, and what for.

Similar instances are like passport office, DVLA, courts, councils etc.

With Santander releasing a new credit card giving 2% back in the first year and 1% thereafter (£15 monthly cap, £3 monthly fee), I hope Chase will hurry their offering along a bit.

4 Likes

That’s interesting didn’t know about that…I’m still on their Santander 123 credit card from way back in the day

1 Like

Link has gone live FYI and I’m disappointed. It’s just the Maru one with a custom domain

Although looks like the credit card is the next thing as they have asked for input on the community page.

5 Likes

Means little to be honest as they have asked multiple times about all sorts of things such as credit card and it didnt launch them.

1 Like

Valid point they was meant to release it last year

1 Like

So, it’s the 1st of the month,

I had a ridiculous amount of notifications 30th, 31st and today about payments due and being moved :melting_face:

Might be reduced by not having different accounts for different payments but just seemed too over thought, and mildly annoying.

Yeah, but then we’d only be gurning about not getting notifications :person_shrugging:

Notifications are fine, but keep it short and as few as possible.

I know. I get a lot of dings this time of month. You’d think they could do a long summary one although that said the DDs don’t all come out at the same time of day.

Might simplify it and move them all into one, but kinda defeats the object.

I’ll keep thinking.

Wouldn’t help much. That would just cut the per account dings but you’d still get one per transaction. My payments go out on different days so I’d still get my going out tomorrow ding, then the ding when it actually goes out the next day.

Not sure if you can in android but iPhone doesn’t allow you to choose any type of notification.

I’d remove the tomorrow ones, and also the internal move ones, and just have payment out that actually left my account.

Credit card rollout? :eyes: Very small maintenance window to publish.

5 Likes

Doubt and there’s nothing new in the app today