Chase Bank UK chat

As much as I’d love that, the thing that would cement them as my main account would be open banking.

I love the whole nature of the Chase approach. Both the simpler and easier to use app, as well as how it feels psychologically to just use.

But I love Monzo’s trends more. Having Chase supported would get me the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Really for me the only positive thing with it is the cash back and interest rate.

Nearly everything else I find worse or am indifferent about. The pot 5% has been mostly worthless even though I haven rinsed a lot through them. They have been trying though which is nice and it will be interesting to see where they catch up though.

Poorer (not exhaustive):

• budgeting - really bad and they don’t even have the basic excluded category so the little graphs it has are trashed because of me transferring money out.
  • UI - I just find it pretty weak, it’s not the worst but it’s not a positive for me.
  • Downtime - yeah there is that although it has been better other than the odd blip. Hopefully it will continue. I regularity get errors in the app but a restart usually kicks it
  • Virtual cards - I use these so not having it is a barrier.
  • Bill pots - as above with virtual cards
  • Open banking - although they legally have to get that sorted soon, and are working on it
  • Ethics - I mean JP Morgan Chase have terrible ethics, they don’t barely try imo. It’s less of an issue for me but it still leaves a bad taste. No one can claim they are a ethnically decent brand, it’s always a race to the bottom of “oh there is worse out there”
  • Forum - yeah it’s trash panda but not a big big deal
  • Support - this is personal but the only time I have tried the support it was poor and they would remove the limits to let me transfer money out to my own account. To be fair I should have faux outage more to escalate but I shouldn’t have needed to.

Obviously people will disagree and this list is just the stuff I would like improved for myself going forward.
As I said they have been trying at lest as well but I don’t see them becoming my bank in the near term (6 months - year) or if I will keep using the cashback.

3 Likes

I tend to agree with some of those - others are person taste though.

The UI - I tend to find the (new) Chase UI better than Monzo, for example, as I think the Monzo UI is incredibly cluttered now. But then my favourite is Starling (and I actually like the big pie chart which I know a lot of people hate).

For virtual cards - Chase seemed to try and reinvite the wheel with that and came up with the ‘you have one payment card that you change where you spend it from’ concept. Interesting idea - but I don’t think it works and hopefully they might offer ‘standard’ virtual cards in the future as well.

Bill pots - I think their setup with multiple accounts (with their own unique account details) is better than Monzo bill pots.

The Forum isn’t even something I’d consider when deciding on a bank. Other than Monzo and Chase do any other banks have a community forum at all?

4 Likes

Its like they saw curve and thought that it was a good idea where people have to open an app to pick where they want to pay from, which to me was the biggest PITA with curve.

The account functionality personally makes no difference to me, bill pots usefulness for me is the whole salary sorter and virtual card being linked to it, Monzo actually makes it easier to change around as I just change settings to move DD to different pots (they need to do the same with VC cards as well tbh) where as chase would require me to change details for the direct debits which can take a while and hassle.

It would actually be a total pita if I wanted to move things around thinking about it, I actually much prefer the monzo approach. The account approach chase has to me has only one benefit, you can transfer money in from a 3rd party bank easily but for me thats a very minor thing and if I was using chase as my “get paid into” account it wouldnt even be a factor.

I mean its an extra I like, because no others do it the others lose a point albeit only a minor point. Chases one though is so poor it doesnt get the minor point, if you do something do it well.

1 Like

I’ve voted “it’s my main account” based on my personal definition; this being the account I’m actually an active user of (most). I use Chase’s Current Account for all my spending and I use the Chase Savings Accounts.

My Salary still goes into my legacy RBS account and I don’t see this changing for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Chase offers nothing I find of value really.

The problems might be better now but it’s still a concern.

If/when they sign up to CASS I’ll probably make an account to switch, just to have a look at it.

5 Likes

They won’t ever let you back in (as it stands)

3 Likes

I closed my account, I would consider reopening one in future though if they had something to draw me back in.

I don’t know what exactly. :laughing:

2 Likes

I’d use them for all general spending if and when they do a credit card, but I wouldn’t switch my primary banking from first direct (to Chase or anyone else) unless something actively happened to them. So less about not wanting to move to Chase and more not wanting to leave first direct. Otherwise I’m a big Chase fan. The reliability seems much improved recently too.

6 Likes

Updated Chase and logged in for first time in like a year. I actually really like the updated UI. Would love them to bring joint accounts

2 Likes

Dark mode may change my view of the app for sure.

Someone mentioned bills pots above - each account is assigned it’s own account number and sort code as a fully functional UK account to have bills taken from and salary paid in.

I should’ve really continued using as I’d have racked a fair bit of cashback by now, just didn’t enjoy the user face and app was a bit clunky but seems to have improved a little.

4 Likes

Between the outages and the still sluggish app, I would never switch to Chase. They’ve had 18 months, as you say, to sort it out and it’s still a slow, laggy experience on Android. I don’t trust them to do any better.

1 Like

Is this just a Chase issue on Android? Monzo seems to have a similar issue.
I’m on iOS and it’s perfectly fine ~99% of the time.

What’s the deal with Android apps? Folks in this thread prior noted how Chase’s Android ratings and reviews had been improving over time, so hopefully all is not lost.

1 Like

I’m surprised that Android is still getting a raw deal when it comes to app quality. 10 years ago iOS was prioritised but with the market share Android has and fragmentation (I believe?) less of an issue these days, it’s a shame the apps seem to be sub-par.

It’ll make it easier to see :sweat_smile:

1 Like

100% :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same, would love to see Chase offer a joint account.

2 Likes

I have never had any issues with speed or smoothness in Monzo on Android. Or any other banking app for that matter (hmmm well maybe Barclaycard is a bit clunky at times). The Monzo app has always been super fast, and always up-to-date as soon as I open it, compared to the several seconds it takes for Chase to open, and then show out-of-date balance information, only to take a few more seconds (and sometimes even a swipe down) to update to the current balance. It’s ridiculously slow.

2 Likes

Remember, you need to deposit at least £500 from tomorrow onwards (1st March) if you want 1% cashback from April.

5 Likes

I thought that was only if you’re at the end of the one-year promotional period?

1 Like