Chase Bank UK chat

Got a new community survey through, hopefully no picture quizzes in this one :smile:

2 Likes

What did you think of the survey, a lot around if you would make chase your main account right!

1 Like

I got a general survey from Chase a couple of days ago with just a couple of questions asking how likely I would be to refer them to a friend and why.

I gave them a score close to not very likely at all and explained in detail why. Whether they’ll take anything I said into account remains to be seen.

6 Likes

I get no surveys these days!

2 Likes

Perhaps you gave them the wrong sort of answers?

3 Likes

Probably I told them they got things a bit wrong so I’m on a blacklist :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I doubt it’s this. I’ve been very harsh about them in many of the surveys. I still get them weekly(ish), along with invites to events, paid focus groups, and online calls.

4 Likes

Just received the Chase survey and I wasn’t overly supportive in recommending them to a friend. My reasons are that they’ve got no products apart from cashback which will disappear circa Feb 2023 and their customer service is poor. They ask if I’d be disappointed if I didn’t have Chase and my answer was no I wouldn’t. I’m wondering if they will extract from the UK. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

I think they’re trying to gather statistics that would appease investors who have concerns about that they’re doing in the U.K.

Whilst I wouldn’t currently recommend with the way things are with them at the minute, I would miss them if they were to disappear. I think they’re a great addition to our market and bring something that’s new, innovative, and different. They do some things better that I wouldn’t like to see leave, at least until they’ve spurred some competition. N26 left the U.K. market, and as a result we’ve seen no real innovation in the realm of shared banking or intuitive user interface controls like drag and drop for transfers. The last one is a small thing, that people aren’t going to know they want, or miss if they’ve never tried it, but if you’re regularly moving money around it was wonderful, and having to move back to Monzo when they left made them seem archaic in comparison, and nothing has improved to make this better since then.

My point is, Monzo and Starling provoked the big banks to up their game. And I think we’re hitting a point, where only two fintech banks exist and have become stagnant in many ways need some spurring on too. Chase does that in some respects. A market with only two key players (Monzo and Starling) eventually loses any incentive to keep getting better once they’ve carved out their own niches and stay out of each others way. The big banks don’t care, they’ll do the bare minimum for retention. So more innovation in the fintech part of the market from an actual bank like is very welcome and much needed in my opinion.

8 Likes

And, like you, I’m still gutted about N26 withdrawing from the UK a for these reasons.

5 Likes

Today’s survey was basically "if we copied AMEX’s sponsorship and membership offers would you like it?

3 Likes

Thanks. Saves me bothering to look :+1:

1 Like

Hopefully it’s infrastructure updates, and it’ll all go well and still be functional in the morning :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Seems like some update. A lot did the usual clock change and to be honest it wasn’t noticeable.

Hopefully this one will bring extra stability, I like chase but their inability to work without falling over for a few days makes things like this needed.

2 Likes

I am in the US and thought I’d try withdrawing money from a Chase ATM to take advantage of free withdrawals.

Alas, once again Chase’s rate is worse than the rest. It gave me 1.15 USD to the pound, while Monzo and Transferwise had been giving me 1.16 on the same day.
For the amount I withdrew, Chase’s rate cost me an extra £1.80 compared to if I had used another account, however I don’t know what the local ATM would charge for a foreign card withdrawal, so maybe it cost pretty much the same overall.

Still, Chase’s rate means it’s the worst for purchases amongst all my Mastercard debit and credit cards.

Had a quarterly community newsletter, which had this line:

You told us you wanted Direct Debits. We heard you loud and clear, and launched Direct Debits in early March – thanks for telling us what matters to you

I mean it’s not like a bank having direct debits is some innovative left field feature but :joy: A win is a win I suppose.

13 Likes

They were told by numerous customers to increase their savings rate. They increased it well after every other bank and now it’s lagging behind their competition. They were told to maintain cashback. It remains until Feb 2023 (for me) but will it be further extended? They are a bank with no products. Cashback is the only thing remaining atm.

7 Likes

They already send me a notification for cash back money move to where because it expire at Jan 2023. I think it means cash back ending already

To be ‘kinda-fair-ish’ to them with the Saving’s issue, when they launched their initial savings accounts with, at the time, industry leading rates, it broke their system and caused massive issues with the platform.

It might be that they made a deliberate choice to not chase the top rate all the time and keep it still competitive compared to the rest of the market, but not going to be so competitive they get millions trying to apply (compared to the big Four banks, I think it’s still better than any instant access saving account they have available?)

1 Like

No it isn’t. Barclays Rainy Day Saver at 5.12% is instant access, and that’s just one example.

1 Like