Bó (Natwest/RBS challenger brand) chat

Bó already reissuing cards to comply with PSD2.

I never saw an email from them.

What’s different about these cards does anyone know?

I don’t know about the technical differences, but there’s a fairly big ‘surface’ change to the new cards - apparently the new cards no longer have a signature strip at all.

Please ensure you activate your new card before March 14th, after this all old card will be deactivated. You’ll also notice your card no longer features a signature strip. Chip & PIN is now the main way of securely paying with your card. Signatures are less common now and are less secure. We are one of the first banks in the UK to remove this function.

My email just came through now.

Interesting their limit is £130. These low limits would have really irritated me back when I used my card for contactless, I’d have hit them at least once or twice a week. It shows how quickly Apple Pay has taken over my life, I don’t even carry my monzo card with me unless I think I have a good reason to.

1 Like

https://hyperjar.com/

A new one to add to the list of competition. I wonder what the budget was for this app.

A huge 27 employees required to create that to give you some comparison.

Anyone tried it?

There’s a discussion here

Some more thoughts from the times. Lots of pressure for Bo, it suggests they might try a rebrand now the CEO has left…

(Paywall but you get one free article)

1 Like

Are they planning to keep the brand/colours but just transition to the food industry :crazy_face:

13 Likes

4 Likes

The Telegraph slagging off Fintech ?

Faints clean away in surprise

4 Likes

So the RBS Group is to rebrand as NatWest, presumably in an attempt to finally shake off the legacy of the credit crunch in 2008.

2 Likes

Be interesting to see how Bo fits in with the plans of the new management

Looks like the CEO of the business bank, Mettle, is also going to be the CEO of Bo bank. Doesn’t sound like an overly wise move imo, if your venture is lacking in direction and clear leadership, don’t give it to someone who already has a venture to oversee already (especially one as young as Mettle).

I suspect RBS have made another false move here and the Bo experiment will be formally shut in a year or so.

Just looking quickly at Mettle, nothing they do is revolutionary, and I can’t see any of that tech giving Bo a competitive advantage against the current competition.

I got an email saying they was sending me out a new card

I just recieved my new card, it has the same long card number!?

I’ve a different CVV and a shorter expiry date but the card number is exactly the same…

I think security wise it’s pretty poor as to activate my card I was asked for the last four card digits WHICH WERE THE SAME AS THE OLD CARD!?

Also I’ve just realised that with the card number being the same you’d have to guess/try to remever where you have and haven’t updated the card online as most places only show the last four digits of the card.

Having the same card number is pretty standard.

CVVs shouldn’t be being stored by merchants but you would need to update expiry (it depends on how fussy they want to be in the check).

I wouldn’t worry too much, can’t be too much longer before they shut the bó project down. :joy:

1 Like

For years, so long as you knew the first four characters for Switch - not a secret - you could construct the long card number for the HSBC debit cards using the sort code and account number, which were also helpfully written on the card

I ended up with the same long card number for maybe fifteen years

1 Like

The first six should be the banks bin with the starting 5 (or 2) meaning mastercard, 4 for Visa.

So Monzo cards should start…

5355 22

The next 9 references your account.

The last digit is a checksum to make sure the other numbers are valid.

This bin caught out Rufus Leonard last year with an idea to Halifax.

2 Likes

Was it lost or stolen?

If it was just broken then there’s no issue with having the same number.

No due to security update they replaced the cards got mine today also, doesn’t look any different :joy: