Bitcoin General Chat

I’m not being specific about you coming into threads everytime bitcoins mentioned to call it a bubble. It was just coincidence that I posted something that you then said.

It’s a general attitude that people have when they see something going up they respond with oh must be a bubble and are sceptical. It then goes up more and they keep repeating it’s definitely a bubble, we then see a dip taking it back to levels not seen since last week, and they come out of the woodwork to shout see it’s a bubble, then a few days later the trend continues and back to calling a bubble.

And just to say everyone should realise that any market has its bull and bear markets. So at somepoint either side will be correct.

The key thing in my opinion is that it’s very much here to stay like the stock market, and will continue in an overall uptrend despite pullbacks along the way to cool off

Put it this way it’s like PC users going onto the Apple forums to shout you could build that for cheaper, when no-coiners popup in a Bitcoin General chat thread.

Edit anyone just spot this bullish sign

1 Like

I’ve followed your fancy graphs and converted £2 into Bitcoin instead of buying a Greggs :+1:

2 Likes

:rofl: ok I guess? :man_shrugging: I wouldn’t have done that but baby steps. I would have seriously gone alts instead.

Even ETH over BTC for me.

ETH will see $7566 pretty quick to see that shiny £2 turn into £4.

With BTC you’ll need another trillion adding to the market cap. Which may or may not happen in this bull cycle.

Maybe I can spare another £2, let’s see if I can keep my eating down

5 Likes

:joy:

That’s the spirit. Well it can be your slimming fund. lol

How about REEF instead? 520m market cap current 0.04125 Polkadot DeFi

Or RAMP DeFi 0.4746 atm only 173m market cap

Let’s see these in two weeks time.

With some of these I feel like it’s the same as the Grand National where you pick one based on a name you like and then hope!

1 Like

Might just throw £200 into Revolut and buy bitcoin. :eyes:

Or is there a better crypto to wing it into short term?

Is crypto seen as gambling or investing?

Investing. Capital Gains on any gains when they’re realised.

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t use R to buy crypto but looking on their Which cryptocurrencies are supported?

LTH
Bitcoin (BTC)
Ethereum (ETH)
Cardano (ADA)
Uniswap (UNI)

Decent projects
Synthetix (SNX)
Yearn Finance (YFI)
Filecoin (FIL)
The Graph (GRT)

Could go either way
Litecoin (LTC)
Stellar (XLM)
OMG Network (OMG)
0x (ZRX)
Bancor (BNT)
Loopring (LRC)
Numerai (Numerai)
Orchid (OXT)
Universal Market Access (UMA)

Don’t touch with bargepole / ghostchains
Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
Ripple (XRP)
EOS (EOS)
Tezos (XTZ)

I would say £100 of that £200 into ETH then do some DD on the LTH/Decent ones and buy 4 at £25 each.

Whilst ADA has gone nuts recently still probably

£100 Ethereum (ETH)
£25 Cardano (ADA)
£25 Uniswap (UNI)
£25 Synthetix (SNX)
£25 Yearn Finance (YFI)

NFA.

1 Like

Personally, I view it as investing with a gambling block of ‘don’t invest what you can’t afford to lose’ - a mix of the two. A bit like the Monzo shares, kiss goodbye to that money and at some point in the future, you may get some back. Except with crypto - depending on luck mostly - you can see gains that are above and beyond normal stocks trading.

I put a bullseye in a few weeks ago and even with the dips of the last few days, the same group of crypto is currently at a grouped value of nearly double that figure.

But the purchase choices made are for the long term, not to make some quick money. I don’t see any value in trading either, stick with what you bought originally and don’t chop & change cryptocurrencies - the exchanges win when people start doing that with their fees.

I’m impressed with the performance of ETH, COMP and XLM recently though.

Also NFA.

3 Likes

Both. (If you’re talking non HMRC)

Any form of investing is gambling, it’s all about risk/reward.

Any money that doesn’t have a guaranteed return in my book is a gamble.

1 Like

The main perk is you can gain exposure to a speculative market but only lose what you put in, which isn’t the case if you dabble with CFD or the like.

Not really an issue, yeah it’s taken a fall it’ll just climb again soon enough.

Elon is making it a habit lately of manipulating markets, think he gets off on it to be fair :sweat_smile:

I strongly disagree with your implication that people are calling bitcoin a bubble because they don’t understand it.

For my part, I have called bitcoin a bubble, and continue to call it one, because the value is completely divorced from the fundamentals.

Just because it hasn’t burst yet doesn’t mean it’s not a bubble.

2 Likes

So someone has just spread a fake rumour about BNB being investigated by the IRS

:man_facepalming:

There was me thinking people would question a source but nope, just shows how fear takes over people.

IMG-20210513-WA0012

If this goes over your head he has an actual goat named bitcoin.

My view is that the word ‘bubble’ is very overused. It worth noting that there isn’t some preordained, objective definition of a bubble so there will always be disagreement over this but a ‘speculative bubble’ at its heart represents a price that no reasonable future outcome or projection can support.

Just like we can argue about whether a stock is overvalued, we can argue about Bitcoin is overvalued today but I think its gone beyond a bubble now. It’s representative of a new asset class subject to huge boom and busts but no longer a bubble.

You could argue that it was a bubble in 2013 or maybe even 2017 but now we can start to price in its value as a digital gold - a substitute for a large amount of the value of the physical gold market - as a reasonable future outcome (not a certainty but a reasonable projection). The fact that we saw huge declines post-2013/2017 and then subsequent recoveries also suggest its graduated from the bubble status - there is no historical parallel to a ‘bubble’ like Bitcoin reinflating.

The narrative and consensus around Bitcoin now is that it is a store of value, not a currency. A store of value doesn’t require stable pricing, it just requires permanence (the historical price of physical gold has been hugely volatile at times - that doesn’t negate it as a ‘store of value’). Talking about it as a currency is a complete red herring.

As is talking about Bitcoin as if it has no fundamental value. I’m not persuaded by the ‘money printing is evil and Bitcoin is our saviour against a broken economic system’ narrative but there is value. There is value as a store of value (like or not). There is value as the Grandfather of all crypto currencies, if nothing else (and there are plenty of good arguments there it bring much more value). I believe crypto, as a broad asset class, represents internet-native currency and value. If you think the internet will continue to become increasingly intwined with our daily lives, then the market for internet-native money will grow hugely. Is PayPal really the best solution for transferring value on the internet!? I can’t believe that is true going forward.

Boom and busts are a feature of a new asset class, not a bug, so we’ll see more of these going forward but I think talking of it as a bubble of far too simplistic.

1 Like

Basically someone setup short positions and then released a tweet. Everyone pretty jaded at this point from all the BS games being played

Looks like fraud to me. Binance have already been caught lying multiple times, and their recent statement of reserves which is supposed to reassure is mostly undefined ‘commercial paper’, < 3% actual cash reserves. At the start they were claiming fully backed 1-1 USD which is clearly absurd now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-13/binance-probed-by-u-s-as-money-laundering-tax-sleuths-bore-in

1 Like