ATM Fees Abroad: The Community Has Spoken

Then my bad, because when I joined Monzo (nothing to do with MSE), I didn’t see the zero overseas ATM fees marked as ‘for a limited period only’.

1 Like

I agree with this, although it would have made the ‘keep the debit card’ thread a bit more fractious…

I can only guess the cost to monzo of the overseas transactions was high enough that it wasn’t a practical option even for the couple of months it’d be relevant.

1 Like

Solid move by Monzo.

The people saying “I only used Monzo for free ATM withdrawals abroad” are exactly the customers they don’t want. The 3% will definitely dissuade these users from using Monzo and send them to Starling, which creates a problem for Starling as they’ll haemorrhage money to fees as Monzo did! 80% of costs came from 20% of users.

It shows they’re serious about building a sustainable business that will last, and it will ultimately drive the quality of users upwards.

4 Likes

At the end of the day I’m just gonna blame this douche for what is going on.

5 Likes

The entire prepay card was a limited beta, to be killed off when the current account went live. There was no reason to think the offers would stick around, especially once the numbers of users got large enough they didn’t need them as a hook any more. Not charging at chargeable ATMs (since described as a bug, possibly accurately) has gone away too.

2 Likes

They had based their original pricing on an estimate of 8,000-80,000 customers using the prepaid card not 400,000 so it was clear they needed to reevaluate costs and bring in new fees as they were paying out 1-2% on overseas withdrawals from hundreds of thousands more customers.

1 Like

MSE customers are not responsible for the increase in costs we saw :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How do you know though?

I’d guess that tristan knows more about the breakdown of monzo customers than most :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

True but if there was a referral link it might not have been followed, I never use them I just go straight to source…

I didn’t get it… i got the October journal.

I only registered on the 10th… I didn’t get my card until after the 13th.

Seems a bit unfair, tbh.

But you would have seen it advertised as a beta, therefore not the finished article and you’d have accepted change was possible if not inevitable? :thinking:

1 Like

You’ve been given fair notice of more than two months.

I wasn’t referring to the actual charges being implemented, I was referring the fact that I was never notified of the vote.

I’m not the happiest with this choice as I would rather have a flat fee every time I use an ATM, but this is what the community chose, just going down to ROI a load does make it convenient to have a low rate.

But I can see why Monzo has to set the fee so high, with people in my school (Some of which are under 18) abuse the 0% transaction rate and can see the justification for it.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for all the comments today! This was a decision made by the community and we’re really glad that we could bring as many people onboard as possible :smiley: I’m closing this thread now to avoid it taking over the forum with people rehashing the same arguments over and over again, but we’re always here to chat!

Thank you again :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

I’ve been with Monzo 17 months. I travel a lot. I voted for 1% ATM fees in Europe and 2% World because I think that’s the only option that’s truly fair for everyone, whatever they vote for. If the bank tells you they have to pay for something and ask you to pay the fees it costs them- sign me up. Wait, that’s what I did sign up for…

Anyway, keep up the good work Monzo- I’m a big fan. I’m glad most people got what they wanted. The international ATM fees don’t work for me at all and I’ll probably have to find another option for my travels, which I thought I’d found, but, now I haven’t. Hmmm. Still looking forward to and waiting on current account, maybe I could switch to the new Monzo current account and then look for another option that looks like the one I was looking for in the first place…

8 Likes

No you don’t. They said the actual cost was about 1% in Europe and 2% in Rest Of World. However we will now be charged 3% in order to offset the so called free allowance.

Therefore if they follow the same twisted logic they will also overcharge for top ups but give a free allowance. Assuming that is not the case and they charge the real amount without any allowance it shows an illogical inconsistency in their fee structure.

When I took out €200 in Palma last month I got a message saying they will not charge me but they will charge my bank 62cents.

Bank name began with B…like BNV or something