ATM Fees Abroad: Asking the Monzo Community to decide pricing

Can you guys vote? the beginning of the thread seem to not load anymore?

Exactly, I would much rather Monzo was financially stable than the many subsidising the few

2 Likes

Also a really good idea :+1::+1:

Well no charge is obviously the best charge but we dont want Monzo to go the way of Supercard last July so let us do whatever is needed to keep it alive. I have a slight preference for Option 2 but whatever suits the majority best is clearly to be preferred, to maintain the customer base.

I can get charge free cash withdrawals anywhere from Santander via my Zero credit card but then I have to move like lightening to pay it back on the same day, to avoid the Shylockian interst rate. Whilst that is possible it is a bit of a pain to have to dive onto the net banking to transfer to the CC account, every time you draw out a few bob.

I have not known a foreign bank who did not charge for using their ATM whatever the card and here in Thailand, where I am at the moment, the Bangkok Bank charges B150 (£3.40) per transaction, irrestpective of the amount withdrawn.

Well as you are stopping free ATM use in Europe I will go to Starling…bye

1 Like

I’ve voted option 3purely because i despise having to carry cash and when i’m abroad i’d try to pay for everything with my card anyway. Also with still no charges for using your card with merchants etc, you could use the old cashback trick which most places will happily do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the opportunity to put forward suggestions.

Reading and listening to your reasoning, I too agree that whatever you do, it must be transparent, fair and simple; particularly to remember.

So my Option 4 is a preference is for Option 3, but with these easy to remember adjustments; Using THREE as the Memory Base as follows;

£300 free monthly cash withdrawals. (Most Banks allow this figure daily).
3% charged in pounds on ALL withdrawals in excess of this in the same month, with a ceiling maximum of say, £30…

It’s perfectly logical just different to your logic! Personally, I’d prefer one rate for all countries and for the extra paid above cost in Europe to be put towards covering the cost further afield. They gave this as an option so clearly they think it’s logical too.

The charge is driven by the usage of ATMs in other countries, not by the foreign-exchange element.

5 Likes

You know people travel outside Europe though, right? :joy:

1 Like

If we get to that, then it wouldn’t be “Non profit making” or “Fair”.

It is not the usual circumstances that are the problem. I wonder how much they charge to keep this topped up? Or using any independent ATM.

But if the charge is a combination one-off fee and percentage, doing a trial will only hurt you more.

If there was a list of recommended banks to go to which had a simple charge, I’d be more up for your idea. E.g. Go to Belgium, travel dialog box recommends BNP ATMs for 1% charge, other atm fees may vary.

I can understand fees for use in rest of world where I know sometimes the cardholder’s bank is charged about £8 for a withdrawal in various separate component charges by the ATM owner, operator and network. However charging in Europe (where charges less) is counter productive particularly with so many competitors not charging for European withdrawals. Looks like a move to Starling is called for (their boss recently reconfirmed their intention to keep withdrawals in EU free)

1 Like

Can you not pass on the actual cost of the withdrawal that you guys get charged? Or do you not get that level of detail. I don’t think anyone could argue with paying for exactly what they use. This also ties in with the not for profit arguement as you pass on exactly what you get charged to the customer.

1 Like

I liked this option as well. £1 for up to £100, £2 for up to £200, for example.

Then many people would try to withdraw exactly £100. The problem is helping them figure out what £100 is in the local currency. You might also accidentally slip up to a higher tier (£2 charge) if the exchange rate shifts slightly.

5 Likes

but that is totally immoral to overcharge those usung ATMs in Europe just to subsidize those using them outside Europe :angry:

Yes, we could (but it’s complicated to explain how the charging works). It would be about 1% in Europe, 2% outside Europe.

1 Like

Sounds fair enough to me. I’ll just go with that option then.

That is great as an idea but Monzo won’t just get one charge for the one withdrawal but a number of charges from the owner operator and network including a flat fee charge per withdrawal and a %based charge on the total amount withdrawn and these different charges may also come through in different currencies or at different exchange rates

Of the options presented, option 3 seems like a clear winner to me.

However, I also prefer the idea of a yearly allowance rather than monthly. What’s the level that would make it viable from Monzo’s side? If £1500 is too much, how about half that? It’s still quite a lot of spending cash for a holiday, given we could still buy most other holiday stuff with Monzo without charge.

2 Likes

Might I suggest that Option 4 should be for us all to pay an Annual Card Fee of (say) £20 and keep everything else protem free.
This covers the £16 average cost and provides Monzo AND the community with a measure of future proofing.
I would be happy to pay that - in much the same way that I have to pay for all my other SaaS subscriptions.
The variation on that would be to have a free UK-only card and a subs-based Overseas card.

2 Likes