Are you ready for an electric car?

There’s also probably less profit to be made from charge points versus supplying liquid fuel. So their entire business model will need to adapt.

I just think car companies don’t see charging as their problem.

There’s a good video that touches on this here, compares Microsoft’s approach to Apples in the MP3/iPod market and applies it to this:

And it shouldn’t be, in my view.

Ideally, there’d be one standard charging solution (with one easy payment option) rather than one for VW, one for Nissan, one for Ford, one for Kia…

A universal standard would be nice I assume it already exists? I know the Tesla can use the standard plus their own version.

Tesla let you fill up for free with some versions of their car, so I can sort of see why they’d want to lock that down.

There’s two part to the problem; standard cable connections (which seems to be settled on type 2), and standard payment method (which isn’t really settled since there are still separate apps, widgets and RFID cards and all sorts needed depending on the charge point).

From my reading of the situation, apart from Tesla, if you want to drive from one part of the country to another, you would be faced with several different plug configurations and several different payment requirements (Debit card, proprietary card, app based). It’sa confusing mish mash at the moment, and probably puts some people off.

1 Like

Not so difficult as you imagine.
Most EVs have the capability of connecting two a Type 2 Charger( the charger that is often seen in car parks, including supermarkets.
The chargers that a first glance resemble a petrol filling station pump are generally equipped with a choice of connector that any EV could use.
EV drivers are very familiar with the differences and plan their journey accordingly.
Charging an EV is really a simple and satisfying procedure.
Similarly, most will just allow a credit card for payment.

Three types

(left) CHAdeMO (50kw - 100kw)
and
(middle) CCS (50kw - 350kw and extends the Type 2 socket)
(right) Type 2 (3kw - 43kw)

1 ultra-rapid (150kw - 350kw) future gen

CCS
Audi e-tron Quattro (up to 150 kW)
Porsche Taycan (up to 270 kW)

2 rapid (50kw - 100kw)

CCS (most modern cars)

(And if you have basically a Leaf or Outlander PHEV you’ll use CHAdeMO instead)

3 rapidish (43k)

If those rapid aren’t available (or your car is old gen and doesn’t have CCS/CHAdeMO) then its a case of looking for a Type 2.

4 fast (7kw - 22kw)

If those aren’t available then the slower Type 2, you’re looking at a few hours.

(Most UK homes have single-phased power for a 7kW wallbox, but three-phase power should be able to have 11kW or 22kW)

5 slow (5kw)

If those aren’t available then the even slower Type 2, this could take awhile…

6 ultra-slow (3kw)

Type 2 or a domestic three pin plug. This will take forever.

I was using this website to work out how much I’d save having an electric car. It calculated around £800 per year just on my work commute. So with zero tax as well that would make it £960.

I was getting a little excited at the possibility of getting a Tesla as so far it was looking promising…

Then I went to get an insurance quote…

So over 3 times more expensive than what I’m paying for my current car that’s more powerful too :scream: :man_shrugging:

So close :sob:

2 Likes

That’s really expensive! Mines coming out about £800.

I was shocked to be fair and I don’t understand why :confused:

• The quote was for a 2019 model 3 valued at £30k.
  • I currently drive a 2017 car valued at £24k which is more powerful.

Those are the only differences I can think of :man_shrugging:

Its because of the potential repair costs. Only Tesla can do it. Which obviously increases costs at the insurer side.

Ahhhhh good point!

Perhaps they have a higher crime rate too or something?

Many insurers won’t quote for electric vehicles at all. Tesla owners forums seem to recommend going direct to Direct Line and LV rather than going through a comparison site.

1 Like

Might be worth checking if you’re entitled to any discounts as a shareholder. I know Aviva (or is it L&G I forget) give a premium discount if you’re a shareholder…

Costs like £3 to become so, so definitely worth checking.

Always difficult to comment on the cost of insurance for any car, never mind electric.
So many variables, location, previous history, age, mileage, business use and so on.

For what it is worth my Kona 64 quote a few minutes ago on Compare the Market is:

1 Like

Yeah I understand that, this is why I was comparing it to my current car. I’ll try going direct later as someone suggested above.

I imagine there is quite a big difference between a Tesla and a Kona though?

Well if you are buying an X or S then there is an enormous difference. I wrongly thought that it was the Model 3 you had been quoted for.
If it is an X or S, or indeed the M3, it seems that the smart money is now waiting for the Y.
I am sure the M3 success to date is due in large part to the launch price of $30,000 but of course that car hasn’t made it here yet, just it seems the pricier version.
There is no doubt that the saloon will be shunned once the SUV "Y” is delivered.

Ooooo didn’t know about the Y, but that’s quite a bit off launching yet :pensive:

I’m going to do some more research later and more importantly some more insurance quotes :blush:

1 Like

Go and have a go in the model 3.

Very impressive, bit of a white knuckle ride, the power delivery is…unexpected.

1 Like