Are you ready for an electric car?

Similar story in my Kona but I prefer the economic sedate quiet ride option to anything that could be described as "white knuckle”.

I handed it back 20 mins into an hour test drive.

I’d made my decision.

and I needed to go calm myself down.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity I’ve just tried a Kona with my 22k yearly mileage and thats bang on what I would expect with an ICE of similar spec :thinking: Kona poss even cheaper, so thats good to know.

I also tried Model 3 and Model S which where fairly close for similar but still measured in thousands (£1.7k-£2.3k). Or three thousand for the P100D… :rofl:

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.24.40

1 Like

Just leaving this here :red_car:

1 Like

That looks so shit. :see_no_evil:

They’ve gone for the let’s go wacky approach, that’s not really practical for anyone.

I know this is a very first world problem, but I want to get a Model 3. However, the problem is, if I buy one, I end up having to pay £310 car tax per year for the first 5 years.

So I’ll probably not switch to electric soon…

We are getting a brand new Ford Tourneo Independence wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) delivered Monday it is diesel, there are currently no electric / hybrid WAV’s on Motability, so I have this one for at least 5 years, then if one is released, I can then look at ordering one and again only if council have added a charge point locally :joy:

https://www.alliedmobility.com/car/ford-independence/

I thought electric vehicles were tax exempt? :confused:

Not if they’re over £40k purchase price :confused:

1 Like

And unfortunately that’s the list price, before the EV incentive.

I never knew that :open_mouth:

Not that I have £40k to blow on a car but still… that’s ****, especially when the government should be encouraging people to switch.

1 Like

Yea, exactly. That’s part of my reasoning not to. My current car (bought before the new rules came in), I pay £200 tax. So I’d end up paying £110 more per year in car tax. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

This feature is exactly why I need a Tesla :laughing:

1 Like

Just possible I suppose that grants and incentives will change positively in the forthcoming budget.
As far as low emission transport aims are concerned the Government is talking the talk at present, remains to be seen if they walk … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not ready for a electric car. I don’t have anywhere to charge one. For those that can and will/ have purchased one they’re the early adopters. The solution isn’t all cars electric and we’re all merrily driving these like we are now with ICE cars. The solution is having fewer cars.

A paradigm shift will need to happen where the way we move changes very much like recycling our plastics and wearing a seatbelt is normalised. It will take a national change to move out of car use and travel in another way. I don’t know what that looks like yet but something like car sharing, rapid transport, trains, buses and bikes and maybe something else not yet invented. Links between cities and villages where currently only a car is available option will have to be thought about and of course massive investment from Government is needed to make this a reality. And fairly soon if we’re going to achieve net zero.

2 Likes

Solar powered drone backpacks. What can possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve got my hoverboard :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not really clued up on EV - and couldn’t afford one anyway - but is not one of the early, simple problems the fact that there are a variety of charger types? Not just the speed at which they will charge, who owns them or how much it costs. They have different plugs and sockets - yikes! A bit like the Betamax VHS dilema of many moons ago. R-

1 Like

Really not an issue as cars come with appropriate adapters. There shouldn’t be any yikes at this. It’s just like you’re going to Europe with an appropriate adapter. Non-issue.

1 Like