Anyone have any ideas for a new broadband provider for me?

This is the truth I work for a broadband provider and mobile provider I work along side openreach, Yh they have data centres which are just your local exchanges but they can’t control the speed only cap it, the speed you get depends on how far from the exchange you are and traffic on the line when you use the internet. It’s all regulated by ofcom and you can use there checker and that will tell you the speed your area is capable of

Data centres aren’t your local exchanges - it’s not how it works. Openreach with most providers just provide the connection between you and your ISP. Smaller providers will piggyback on top of larger providers. The speeds you get from BT and from say TalkTalk can wildly differ despite your line supporting a certain speed. Your line could support 80mbps but if TalkTalk is congested you could easily get way less at peak times it all depends on your provider.

BT, Sky etc are pretty good and this generally doesn’t happen.

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying, if you look up your local exchange you will find certain providers operate in certain exchanges so some can perform better but it’s all down to traffic management and caps at peak times. Saying that some of the routers are shocking so from a provider point of view it’s all in the t and c’s. I think we can agree on the talk talk compared to BT even though they do not own openreach anymore they will still get biggest portion meaning they will be better even though they don’t actively state this I strongly believe there is like a hierarchy to providers talk talk being at the bottom :sweat_smile:

I have just signed up with plusnet

And I am £5/month better off by leaving PlusNet :blush:

I’m joining them not only for the broadband but for uk call centre cant stand calling up about a problem and there not understanding me

Ironic

7 Likes

what’s Ironic

Brutal.

1 Like

I’m just being honest as I’ve had so many problems where they have sent me different routers when I didn’t need them

It wasn’t about honesty, the ironic was for the fragmented sentence with no grammar, which was hard to understand and about not being understood. It’s less funny if you explain it. Bit harsh.

“I’m joining them, not only for the broadband, but for the UK call centre. I can’t stand calling up a provider and they don’t understand the problem.”

I have been with PlusNet in the past and I thought they were decent. I’m with Now Broadband which I’ve equally found to be great with service and customer support. The PlusNet router is better, I occasionally get my phone going onto 4G in the house as it loses the WiFi. BT same as PlusNet but with a more expensive label. Vodafone bunch of clowns, TalkTalk were ok but I don’t want to give them my business due to them being a shitty company.

its a problem when the cabinet outside is being mucked about with and Vodafone wanna try and say there nothing wrong but as soon as they speak to Openreach that’s when they know I’m telling the truth its like I’ve asked for the 15% discount that your suppose to get until they fix it but they tell me on the phone you only get that when its fixed I’m like no you don’t it states on the website until its fixed and they they say do you work for this company I said no but it don’t take a genius to see what it says on your site

Which package have you got? Super fast 1 or 2? What speed is their broadband app saying you’ve got?

super fast 2 and when i log in to the app to check my speed all i keep getting is sorry we are unable to get your speed at the moment

Use speedtest.net

I did I was only getting 38 on there when I suppose to get 70 to 75 mbps and they kept trying to say I was getting more then what I was saying

The Vodafone app tests speed to the router, which is what they are guaranteeing. A lot of those speed tests are what the device is receiving. Might be worth putting in a complaint. At least then you’ll get more info

I have done I get told I will get a call back and it never happens

In that case ask them for a final decision and escalate to ofcom

I have done im just waiting to hear bk from Ofcom

1 Like