An update on getting interest paid on savings

I think saving when you have debts is sensible. If I have a loan for £1,000 over 10 months at £100 a month that is affordable that leaves me with enough to save £20 a month then yes, I could put an extra £20 and pay it off earlier.

However saving it means that if I had an unexpected bill of £60 in month 3 I could afford that. If I’d put this onto my loan each month then there’s no buffer for this - I can afford the loan repayment (which tend to be fixed even if you pay off more, you just finish earlier) but not the emergency bill.

Having a small savings buffer regardless of debt level is good, in my opinion.

8 Likes

I agree - even better if your debt is interest free!

1 Like

It was just a hypothetical situation, the concept is really that paying off debts is great but people can get into even more debt by having not even a small amount set aside for emergencies, forcing them to take another loan or avoid payments etc.

1 Like

This is the main thing I learnt from YNAB. I was so focused on my debt that I wasn’t saving anything, and then as soon as I had paid my credit card off I would be reaching back to use it again. Vicious cycle. I shifted my debt to a 0% credit card and paid the minimum across the whole term per month (which I found really hard to do because the voice in my head kept telling me to try and pay it off quicker) but the payoff in the long run was really worth it.

4 Likes

That doesn’t need AI. Just compare the savings rate + tax to the borrowing rate. And allow for whether loan interest is calculated daily.

Almost always better to pay the loan. But allow for some rainy day money.

Money saving expert explains better.

1 Like

HSBC has 3.3% loans and 5% savings, depending on the amounts borrowed and saved.

If only you could put as much as you like into the 5% savings…

Yeah unfortunately it maxes out at £250 per month.

Total deposits after 12 months: £3,000

Balance at end of 12 months: £3,081.25

I think a credit card or overdraft also serves as a buffer for emergencies. If you have either of these then you can reap the benefits of reduced interest on your loan and clearing it quicker while still have a buffer should you need it

1 Like

Personally, I disagree.

A credit card or overdraft is still borrowed money (and usually comes with their own interest payments).

I see a lot of people using their overdraft like it’s their own money - Seems to be quite common in the UK.

I think I saw someone from Australia post about how alien it was for people to use their overdrafts so freely.

I believe it’s a “absolute last resort” over there (that’s the impression they gave off anyway).

5 Likes

I agree with this

I think its a different problem if you’re living in your overdraft or suffering with long term credit card debt

Student accounts with 0% ones don’t help. Some people have a £2,000+ overdraft at 0% for 4 years, then the 0% bit shrinks every so often until your left with ridiculous fees and an overdraft you can’t afford.

YNAB (US Budgeting software) makes it quite difficult to work with overdrafts and seems to make them appear worse than credit card debt!

Yeah, I think the banks are as much to blame as the people.

But at some point you have to stop and say “borrowed money is not my money…”

It’s a culture thing I guess - One that could be changed.

1 Like

Yeah, I fell for it, and also partly didn’t care at the time. I was enjoying myself as a student and not realising how awkward it is to get out of later.

Not visiting cash machines helps, when it says really big ‘you can withdraw £2051’ but you’ve actually only got £51. I really like how Monzo handles overdraft, the whole time it’s just a negative number, no mention of ‘you have X available to withdraw’

5 Likes

I loved my 0% student overdraft (still paying it back)

It allowed me to thoroughly enjoy my time as a student instead of trying to live off my 8 hours of part time work a week. No regrets

4 Likes

I don’t think 0% student loans (edit - overdrafts) are necessarily a bad thing - But if it encourages the attitude of “spend someone else’s money, and think about it later”, it doesn’t really set you up for life.

But the initial point was more about debt in general (not student debt), and whether it’s better to have savings, or pay off the debt.

The student loan is kinda separate (in my eyes at least), and belongs in a different discussion.

You’ve responded about a different thing. Nathan was talking about overdraft, not loans.

Sorry! Meant overdrafts…

I enjoyed having the facility of a student overdraft and got too comfortable with it. I’ve actually only just paid it off a few months ago, but I did keep myself to a hard set £700 limit and used it as a buffer. I still have the account as a backup, but balance is nil.