An Open Post to Monzo's Senior Management

Perhaps the term “a lot” is subjective, but not really inaccurate, when you compare the number of tech oriented consumers to non-tech oriented ones. I can’t say what percentage of Monzo’s customer base make up which group of people though. Techies (I don’t like that word, but there’s not really a better one) are a minority. We’re just a very vocal one, especially online, than most other people.

I design and build apps and I’ve been a part of numerous focus groups over the years, some of which were for U.K. based fintechs and banks, and the most common piece of criticism particularly regarding financial apps, is that they’re too cumbersome. Revolut’s new interface is the first I’ve seen in a long time that might actually rectify that feeling of being cumbersome for a lot of people.

I had the opposite impression, based on this thread Support chat disappeared from app

There are a few vocal members who were mostly in support of the changes but the majority flatly disagreed with it.

3 Likes

In my view it was the wrong decision to delay the launch of the new plus due to COVID.

If it’s ready why wait? Monzo are just denying themselves revenue.

Granted less people may choice to sign up during this time but I’m sure if they want they would afterwards.

I would be surprised if there wasn’t an option which didn’t include travel insurance. Perhaps that could (if it exists) launch now and leave the other till later.

5 Likes

I probably used the wrong phrasing, but I guess my point would be some of the Forum members can act as a pretty good sounding board for how/what the impact of changes may be to the wider user base.

Maybe not “UX feedback” per se, but I think there are generally lots of threads here with users pointing out those challenges in a very constructive way. Case in point - some of the chat around the missing Chat button - I actually think broadly the feedback from The Forum around this was highlighting the problems, and were fair / reflective of what issues and challenges would be seen in the “Real World”.(maybe not all of the chat, all of the time though)

Often times those things are met with “you are not representative of our user base” - which I agree with for things like “Features in Plus”, but thers still a huge area of stuff where I think the Forum is a good “litmus test” for the wider customer base.

Either way though I do think that as Monzo grows, it’s to be expected that Things Change vs the Startup days, Transparency, Speed of feature roll out, engagement on here, whatever else - I think it’s all part and parcel of their growth journey. I don’t think all of that is bad per se, but I think we also have to expect different things as they go through that journey too?

2 Likes

Because, if it is travel orientated, it would be terrible PR (which is exactly what they don’t want after two or three botched launches already), and they would be selling insurance that people can’t use. The exact reason that N26 were refunding people for a few months ago!

3 Likes

Yeah couldnt agree with this more. Should have launched it and whoever would have wanted wjat was offered would have paid for it.

Then when the travel aspects are ok again you could do a fresh marketing push on the additions for those that didnt take it up or see it worth taking up in phase 1

1 Like

I’m sure I recall seeing something from Monzo stating that they’re just going to strip out one of the plans that had all the travel stuff in and then launch it?

I agree that they should just launch it now too. In fact I mentioned it when the delay was first announced because the advanced budgeting features are needed now more than ever.

3 Likes

I was against it at first but the more I keep seeing topics on here asking where the button has gone the more I see the issue it is trying to solve.

For example: There was someone the other day who wanted to question why there payment had declined and in the screenshot they posted it stated the exact reason! All they had to do was read that one sentence but for some reason they didn’t.

Even when it was pointed out to them they flat our refused to acknowledge it and still wanted to chat to support :man_shrugging: who ultimately just repeated the same message.

I get that people like to be reassured but come on… if the answer is right in front of their face and they still want to contact support I can see why any business would struggle with that. It’s just not sustainable and you’ve got to try and force a behavioural change for the benefit of not only themselves but for customers too.

2 Likes

I don’t want to get back into the rabbit hole of the debate over the hiding of that button, but I still disagree with it being removed, or at least I disagree with it while there is still definitely work to do on the self service help.

Granted in the specific case you mention I’m not sure what more Monzo could do to help through self service tools. But I would hope that is the minority of help requests :slight_smile:

Me too but judging by all the topics on here it would seem not :pensive:

I’m sure that it will be refined over time and hopefully everyone will come out the other end better off :slight_smile:

1 Like

The value of the higher plan was definitely impacted by Covid and I don’t think it would have been the right call to launch it.

The “standard” paid plan needs less work (but still some) to revamp and I imagine that will launch soon unless the strategy has changed drastically since I left. What’s more likely is that existing capability that is currently free will get moved into it. I suspect given the climate now that is inevitable at this point.

8 Likes

That could persuade me to move.

I’m happy with what the account offers now. I don’t think there’s anything “Plus” could offer that I’d want to pay for l, though I could be convinced.

But if existing capabilities were paywalled that would be a huge turn-off. I realise you’re speculating Simon but that would be my gut reaction if I’ve correctly understood your meaning.

7 Likes

Ive deleted my post because I dont even want to entertain the speculation that @simonb has now thrown out without any explanation of what a “standard” plan is …seems quite irresponsible to me from an ex Monzo employee

That would be a problematic move for many no matter what it is, and a bigger problem if it is something that a large number of people consider ‘core’. However, if it was an existing function, rebuilt to be much better, and then paywalled, that would be less of a problem (to me, at least).

1 Like

I can feel a pitchfork sale opportunity coming… :wink: :laughing:

15 Likes

I knew I was right to invest in pitchfork futures.

12 Likes

Say nothing and there’s a call for pitchforks

Say something and there’s a call for pitchforks

The people like the pitchforks

15 Likes

I don’t know what you could take away? Maybe IFTTT integration? But if I’m paying for that, which I probably would, I want more function from it.

I can’t see much else. Maybe it’ll cost £1 per pot to set them up :rofl:

Could always place limits on pots like N26 did. Remove some of the advanced budgeting features like bills pots or predicting subscriptions.

That’s possible. They’ll know that most people don’t have 50 pots and if you do, you’ll probably pay to keep them (or to add more most likely)