Amex (American Express) Discussion & Feedback

Ah. Well basically in theory you could spend on your Amex, and then pay off the exact same amount from your bank, then just label/categorise that payment as whatever it was you bought.

Long winded but would allow you to maintain budgets and use the Amex.

2 Likes

Same happened again today, so appears not a temporary thing.

Put card in at pump. Recognised Amex. ā€œSale cancelledā€. Told to use ā€œpay at kioskā€.

Inserted Amex card in paypoint inside kiosk and worked without a problem :man_shrugging:

I suppose I at least do not have to put up with temporary spend figure on my card.

Use Emma-job done

1 Like

It sadly used to be unlimited. But either way itā€™s a great way of encouraging me to go out and find smaller shops. Which I do.

Iā€™ve been using it to eat out with the governmentā€™s scheme too. Iā€™ve been having Ā£20 meals for Ā£5 essentially. Even if I do it 10x only this is a great deal plus only doing it once per retailer gives me the incentive to explore more.

2 Likes

Are you still getting the monthly discount on your bill for paying by a recurring payment method? Iā€™m paying by DD at the moment and each bill has a discount on it that Iā€™d be worried about losing.

Also, was setting your bill to come from your AMEX done via My3 or did you have to call them up?

Weirdly I still get the discount. I set up a DD originally, cancelled it and I just pay each month when my bill is received :man_shrugging:t2:

Hmm okay thanks, I need to give them a call later this week anyway so Iā€™ll see what they say!

Just donā€™t dob me in :wink:

3 Likes

I got my card today and used it in the co op for a case of coke for the hot weather.

One question my amex offers does not show shop small. (I want to add my card so I can get the Ā£5 back at small shops taking amex)

Bloody kids buying drinks on their AmEx, didnā€™t happen in my day :slight_smile:

You may have missed it, mine says its valid until 13/09. I guess they stop it for new sign-ups at some point, rather than giving you an offer only valid for a a short time.

Try asking CS if they can add it?

2 Likes

You need to just drop them a message in app and they can add it for you there and then.

Going to message them in them app and ask, Iā€™ll edit if they enroll my card or not.

Update the chat enrolled me.

Edit again the customer service is very good, monzo like niceness but with quick response at any time of day, iā€™m impressed.

2 Likes

Yeah have always found their customer service to be fantastic. Far better than Monzoā€™s these days, and I would say better than First Directā€™s by a fair way too.

Have had some incredible service when dealing with them for refunds and travel insurance stuff in particular.

5 Likes

The problem I have with First Direct is that the frontline staff are great and theyā€™re able to help with fairly basic issues, but anything remotely complex has to be sent to some backend team that can take some time or the staff are clearly hitting up against HSBC systems limits in some way.

Iā€™ve heard Amex is becoming somewhat similar, in that the frontline staff no longer resolve things at the point of contact most of the time and it ends up being escalated, which typically results in a poor experience.

1 Like

Yeah have always found FD ā€˜goodā€™ but have never had anything too bad for them to deal with.

Re Amex, havenā€™t had anything go wrong that recently - perhaps a Covid issue with a smaller staff size and maybe longer time for more complex stuff? But also maybe itā€™s just got worse - hopefully wonā€™t find out any time soon :crossed_fingers:

Resolved my chargeback with Ryanair instantly.

No forms, no passing to other teams, no follow up enquiries.

Top notch :+1:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve always found it near instant in getting someone on chat. I think the last time I needed a transaction disputing it took about 20 seconds to remove it and update my available limit. No fuss at all, was just a done sir, anything else I can help with.

2 Likes

Iā€™d quite like to get ripped off for something so I can test their legendary chargeback handling myself :slight_smile:

I will say the one time Iā€™ve needed chat, I made a specific query about a direct debit and was given the wrong informationā€¦ everyone makes mistakes I guess.

I would rather have had my trip to Ireland, however, covid put paid to that.

My chargeback v Ryanair via Nationwide was a more complex and required more information, though I still got my money back.

Via Barclaycard for a different break :man_facepalming: They took so long that, despite the delays and barriers, I got the refund from Haven before Barclaycard even made the chargeback request! Duly noted.

1 Like

My experience of Amex for a dispute was pretty poor. Iā€™ve never done one before so had no idea of the process, nothing was really explained to me, the process was confusing, the dispute was closed and I was refunded and then it magically opened again a few months later and then the charge was reinstated to my account. When asked why they said it was because the merchant sent evidence, I asked to see this but was never able to get it so I donā€™t know what the merchant actually said! (Assuming it was something to do with these bloody refund credit notes that package holiday companies have been issuing).

Ended up just filing the dispute in the small claims court and the travel agent settled before the court date and paid the court fees but it all could have been avoided If Amex actually explained the process to me and investigated the claim properly. I uploaded reams of supporting evidence including receipts, terms and conditions for my booking, the relevant regulations and correspondence with the travel agent where they admitted they were not refunding, only issuing credit notes so it wouldnā€™t have taken long to work out that I was legally entitled to the refund.

On the plus side, when I filed a complaint with Amex about the handling of it they admitted that they messed up and credited my account Ā£75 :man_shrugging:

3 Likes