Amex (American Express) Discussion & Feedback

Three and O2 accept it. Literally never had any issues with them and I just paid my Three bill by Amex.

1 Like

Unless you have an income to justify that sort of limit, This seems like like irresponsible lending. At least you have a direct debit for the full balance and are being sensible about it. Amex are very generous with their limits, but I didnā€™t realise they were giving 19 year olds 5.7k limits!

3 Likes

They are insanely generous. I got Ā£12,000 when I opened mine. I immediately just asked it to be reduced to Ā£1,000.

It probably stems from the fact that they are known to have lower acceptance rates and required a higher salary than most.

Or at least used to.

Mines at Ā£15,000, but on opening they asked if I wanted it higher so I might raise it when it comes to renewing it soon.

Iā€™m still only going to be putting Ā£1.5-2k on it a month so doesnā€™t matter if they give me Ā£50,000 a month. :man_shrugging:

Itā€™s nice having the buffer, and helps with future lending having a decent credit limit on your credit report.

Not on PAYG. (Well at least O2 definitely donā€™t.)

Iā€™m a uni student and they have me Ā£1000 at first but within three months they upped it to Ā£5000!

Ah right I donā€™t use PAYG so I donā€™t know.

2 Likes

Interestingly Iā€™ve stopped using my Amex in order to get the budgeting analysis from my current account. Still have it for big purchases, but prefer to see all my spending together.

5 Likes

There are (annoying) ways around that but itā€™s probably a while before that is fully integrated.

1 Like

Why do you assume a 19 year old doesnā€™t earn enough to justify this? What salary would justify 5.7k in your eyes?

9 Likes

I work full time often doing 50hours a week.

My income and the industry I work in is very stable and in their eyes can support the limit. (Online retail distribution)

It is safe to assume most 19 year olds are studying or just starting out in the world of work. Throwing that much credit at them is irresponsible in most casesā€¦

3 Likes

And I use Starling, not Monzo :grimacing:

2 Likes

Itā€™s often the case, I got a early start in work at 16 due to reasons. (I really did not get on well in the education system) I admit Iā€™m a exception to the rule.
I was still expecting a smaller limit when I got approved.
I had a Tesco Bank card to build up my score that I paid off in full by DD and only used 10% of my limit. (Keeping open for score and so I have a mastercard credit card)
I intend to use monzo for places that donā€™t take amex as itā€™s my main current account.

I make Ā£21K per year from my job before overtime is taken into account. (This is the figure I gave amex) I do 20/30 extra hours every 4 weeks. (Iā€™m wage paid)

Circumstances are individual and at the end of the day it isnā€™t my money being lent, no need to justify anything to me, but you seem like you know what youā€™re doing. Carry on with the good work and financial responsibility.

I do think itā€™s a bit insane though a family member of mine was approved just after their 18th birthday for Ā£1.5k. I donā€™t think any other lender would be prepared to do that. I donā€™t think lending money like this is in the spirit of the LSBā€™s Standards of Lending Practice which Amex are subscribed to.

2 Likes

Whether itā€™s sensible or not is obviously its own discussion.

But on other lenders doing it, I was able to get a Ā£2,000 overdraft on my student current account, and I know a lot of them maxed out higher than that at the time. I started uni 7 years ago now, and a Ā£1,000 overdraft was very common, with lots of people having been given higher.

4 Likes

Watch the small print

It is Ā£5 for up to 10 transactions at different participating outlets.

To me, that means you will not get it more than once from your local pub. Sorry :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Those accounts are designed for students in mind and you wonā€™t get the full o/d limit if you show signs of financial distress and they stagger increases so they can monitor how you cope with what you are given. Banks may also set a lower limit in your first term to stop you being irresponsible and blowing it all during freshers. They are also interest free and then they gradually charge interest once you graduate and find a job (hopefully) you are also only allowed one. So very different from getting a 5.7k card with high interest and repayments that start the next month and then being able to take out multiple cards.

1 Like

Fair enough I suppose - certainly re the interest point.

I had one housemate at uni who got a student account, got the maximum overdraft, withdrew it all straight in an ISA. I had a mate who basically drunk his whole loan + overdraft in a month, so not sure those systems as robust as you/the banks would like to think. As you say, at least they donā€™t require monthly repayments.

Whatā€™s the minimum payment going to be on an AmEx maxed out at 5.7k - Ā£150? sounds likely to be affordable on 21k to me. A horrible waste of money, but affordable.

Thatā€™s the whole point of the credit reference agencies. if @desu maxes out the Amex in month 1, and then applies for another credit card the, application will be declined. Sounds to me like that wonā€™t be the case.

Amexā€™s money is not their life savings squirrelled away under the bed for a rainy day - its money they want and need to lend to make more money. Thereā€™s plenty of it around and a shortage of credit worthy customersā€¦

2 Likes