Flux: The End of Paper Receipts & Loyalty Cards

@thinklink, your “wall of hate” is impressive and terrifying!

To answer your follow-up questions…

Being reminded about a return period ending would probably be useful. A warranty expiration warning is less useful, as I only need to know that if something goes wrong with the product, and the product failure will prompt me to look up the warranty information. So making it easy to find that information is my primary concern regarding warranties.

For exporting individual receipts, it would be easiest to do from the Monzo app, from where I’m viewing the receipt. Even if the ‘export’ simply emails me a PDF, that’s fine, but the flow I envisage is that I look up a transaction, view the receipt, and then export it. Otherwise, you would have to replicate some sort of transaction browsing view, and there’s a lot more friction to getting an individual receipt out.

[quote=“thinklink, post:54, topic:7951”]Also, would a web or app view be more useful for you?
[/quote]

For bulk exporting receipts, a web view would probably be most useful, as I could do this from my phone or my computer. But I could see the value in just keeping it all on the phone in a Flux companion app that allowed me to bulk export.

Though this raises a question I hadn’t considered: where are the receipts stored? And are they encrypted/who potentially has access to them?

I currently keep copies of key receipts in a folder on my computer (e.g. receipts for significant purchases). They are all in one place, so if I have an issue or simply need to look up when I bought something, I know where to go. I accept that in the future Monzo+Flux might make this redundant. But I’m a long way off being ready to abandon something that is fully under my control and I have access to regardless of network connectivity or a third-party service. So I would like to continue to store PDF receipts locally for significant purchases for the foreseeable future, even if I start using Flux as my primary receipt store. So, it’s for general comfort/data control/backup/in case something bad happens to Monzo suddenly.

:+1::tada::tada:

Good luck with London!

2 Likes

Much appreciated fro you input @Kyle! :smile:

Would you be happy with exporting via email in app?

Absolutely! We’re very keen to make these more seamless and useful.

This is a great question and I completely agree around not wanting large amounts of receipt data stored on your device. We store images using AWS and then Monzo will doing temporary caching. This is not something that you would need to worry about though :smile:

Yeah, I think export via email would be fine.
Increased functionality would be to select a time frame and export all receipts within that, or select all the receipts you want to be sent in a single email, rather than exporting individually.

1 Like

We’ll be working with Zonal too :wink:

Absolutely, this may be via a web portal initially but easy mobile export is the endgame :+1:

:sweat_smile:

That makes a of sense, thanks!

Awesome, that’s exactly what we’re doing. We’re doing a re-design of this this flow and will post it here soon :smile:

The receipts will be stored with Flux on servers in Ireland. Your data will have bank-level encryption and we partition any information that could identify you to your transaction history which just makes sense and is also compliant with new data protection regulations.

Got it! We understand that to shift takes a lot of trust, which takes time to build it. We’re on the road to get there and will do everything we can to provide an incredible product and support along the way.

Thank you!! :blush:

1 Like

I spotted the below tweet earlier today & signed up to Flux, they then emailed me & it turns out they’re

launching our digital receipt and loyalty integration with Monzo today

it’s worth bearing in mind that according to their website, the trial is still limited -

Flux is launching with major food and cafe retailers in London EC1 / EC2. Shop at any of their stores, you’ll get a map, and get automated receipts and rewards to your phone in real time! Please note we’re launching in London EC1 / EC2 so you may not find Flux useful right now if you’re not around that area often.

but it looks like now’s a good time to sign up :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems to have expanded across London now, went to Eat in Ealing earlier and it gave me a digital receipt/loyalty points :smiley:

3 Likes

You can view the locations of stores with Flux integrations here -

Map markers may not be up to date - click in to see the live version.

it looks like Ealing’s not listed so I guess you’re ahead of the game :smile:

2 Likes

We’re soon going to be updating this again - stay tuned! :smile: @sacha

2 Likes

Flux have added two new enhancements today:

2 Likes

I’ve just received their newsletter which included this interview with Matty -

Their plans are:

We’re now in the start-up phase and the next phase is the growth phase. At the moment we are live and integrated with the challenger bank Monzo, in closed pilot, and the food retailers EAT and Bel-Air. Our primary focus is to prove that what we do can create value for everybody. The next phase will be to roll this out and integrate with Barclays: firstly, by using their Launchpad experimental platform to try out the technology on 10,000 customers before potentially scaling up to the Barclays user base of five million people; and secondly, through Barclaycard, whose relationships with 30% of UK retailers gives us a huge opportunity.

4 Likes

Do you get all of the spend data from the API or just that relevant to the shops you are partnered with?

1 Like

Great question!

Once you’ve signed up to Flux and explicitly opted in we see the full transaction API but we can only use your personally identifiable information to provide you with the Flux service: receipts, loyalty and rewards. At any time you can see our full privacy policy here: www.tryflux.com/legal/privacy

To be compliant with new upcoming data protection regulations (General Data Protection Regulation) we will always allow customers to opt out by requesting this via email at privacy@tryflux.com.

2 Likes

So why are you trying to integrate with Monzo (and put ‘Powered by Flux’ all over the place…) rather than to sell API access to Monzo to implement it natively?

1 Like

Hey Oliver :wave:

It’s for brand awareness as we’ll soon be providing display materials to retailers so that customers will know where Flux is accepted, similarly to how contactless and Apple Pay did when they rolled out.

It’s also to be clear that it’s a Flux generated receipt in case anything went wrong, so we would be responsible for fixing it.

:smile:

I’m not sure I understand why you need (consumer) brand awareness, including display materials at retailers, if you’re intending a B2B SaaS model?

And so to be clear: the Monzo integration is about marketing; it’s not a product that can expect long term support?

I think it’s fair to say they’re attempting multiple models and seeing what sticks! It makes absolute sense, especially since the models are complementary and this is a rapidly evolving concept.

2 Likes

Certainly, as we are an early stage company we have hypothesis about what we believe will work best for our customers. Some will be right and some not, on those that are not we’ll iterate until we find the perfect fit. :smile:

Not at all, you can expect long term support that will only get better, faster and more comprehensive over time. We are taking the same approach that we’ve taken Monzo with every banking partner we are engaging with.

Thanks for the reply.

I really like what you’re doing, it’s just that personally I’d rather see Monzo implement it as a feature of Monzo than have it be a third-party plugin with a separate sign up, account, etc.

2 Likes