X (formerly Twitter) Discussion

I think we might be talking about different things here? The article is talking about Meta charging for a blue tick like Twitter are, not 2FA.

1 Like

Another 50. Can’t be many left now…

Musk fires employee who slept in the office to meet deadline…

2 Likes

He’s apparently just fired another 200…

Anyone still working at twitter must be either desparate or deluded. Their jobs could disappear in an instant.

1 Like

Headcount appeared to have dropped by more than 200 people in its internal systems, according to one person familiar with the matter and as first reported by the New York Times.

This is a perfect example of why you should not go over and above for your employer.

In todays world every employee is disposable.

4 Likes

Some of these people are tied to the job because the visa stipulates this, not as simple as just leave the job as they would mean the country as well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if at this point the majority are trapped by their visas (that is, if they were to leave they would have an utterly unreasonable amount of time to find another sponsor to stop them being kicked out of the country).

Indeed; it’s a great example of why ‘quiet quitting’ is actually just reasonable behaviour with a weird Gen Z label attached and not the outrageously entitled stance some may wish to paint it as.

6 Likes

Depends who your employer is. In finance, going above and beyond usually results in a larger bonus. Must be depressing to work for a company that you don’t care about, or one that doesn’t reward hard work. Quiet quitting is probably partly the reason the UK’s productivity levels are so low, I think people have been doing it for a while. Maybe there need to be more target based incentives outside of the usual sectors. Help perk up those quiet quitting and working from home.

1 Like

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I see what you mean, but I would probably call that going above and beyond for myself, if it results in a huge bonus paid directly into my bank account or something.

I don’t believe ‘quiet quitting’ is anything but a buzzword honestly. I think U.K. productivity is low because:

1. Pay is low, and that’s demotivating. Pay has dropped about 8% against inflation since 2006 for full time employees, and that gets a lot worse when you factor in the increased amount of people on zero hour contracts or ‘self employed’ etc.
  2. Too many potential workers can’t work. I.e people looking after children because childcare costs are too high.
  3. Education and healthcare have been decimated. People with a lower education level or who are sick will produce less.
  4. Public services are on the ground. People who can’t get to work or

And of course the main reason - lack of investment. Since the false austerity narrative entered the public discourse, public investment in infrastructure and services has markedly decreased. Productivity is generally higher the capital that is available - investment produces productivity essentially.

It’s important to note, productivity crashed in 2008. Which because of the credit crunch was somewhat expected. But it failed to recover in the U.K. in particular.

So to put it really simply, no it isn’t because people are just ‘doing less work’, it’s because the country has been mismanaged.

7 Likes

5,500 layoffs (taken at face value in this article) in such a short space of time is simply devastating. Also devastating to those 5.5K are the reward(s) now being handed out to those who (a) have been chosen not to be laid off (b) kept their heads down.

Speculation of course.

2 Likes

Offering stock options is a bit like offering a seat on a SpaceX TestFlight :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No wonder Musk is trying to stiff people on severance. He’s now paying (or should be paying) more people to not work for Twitter than to actually work for them :grimacing:

3 Likes

My severance money is showing as upcoming in Monzo. It should hit my account at 1am. It’s actually a little more than I was expecting, so that’s nice.

As for further layoffs, it’s hard to say for sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s less than 1500 staff at this point. I literally know of one person (an Android engineer) that I worked with that is still there. And I worked with hundreds of people directly and indirectly, as I was first in the Marketing org and then later I moved to the Product org.

The company is literally unrecognisable at this point from what it was prior to November.

As for granting illiquid stock? I don’t think that’s a particularly interesting carrot to hold for anyone that was part of Twitter 1.0 - bear in mind that as a public company, all mid to high level employees had quarterly stock vests in the tens to the hundreds of thousands in actual cash grants every year, plus an annual bonus that depending on your level was often 20/25/30% of your yearly salary. Illiquid stock is hardly a good replacement particularly when the merger agreement is saddling the company with billions of dollars of interest repayments for the foreseeable future.

Illiquid stock is only exciting at small startups that have a good shot at scaling, imo (like my 2016 Monzo grants :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:… Where’s that IPO :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

4 Likes

Yet it all still works (for now).

I think he has shown that the company was carrying too much dead wood. I still think he is a prick though.

5 Likes

Presumably you could’ve had it at 4pm today, then :slight_smile:

1 Like

My view is that the end result is likely to be the same as if British Airways decided to sack all their maintenance crews.

“See? We don’t need them. The planes are still flying!”

Until suddenly they’re not.

And that’s even before we get into how Twitter has actually been breaking in less visible ways. To take one of the most recent examples, it’s likely that the reason that Musk lost it over SMS 2FA is because he got a massive bill - and the reason he got a massive bill was he’d fired the people who monitored the usage of the system to block the scammers. No blocking, rampant scam rinsing of the system, massive bill.

Also, I’ll just throw this out here. Read the linked thread to its grim conclusion:

3 Likes

It isn’t showing the “Get Paid Early” prompt for some reason. Perhaps there’s an upper limit? Not sure why it doesn’t show this time.

2 Likes

5 Likes