Would you spend your own money on a diesel car today?

I would agree generally if you live in an urban area - but when you are out in the ruruals like myself I rely on my car every day and cover 60 miles a day.

But yes I agree current electric cars fall down on range so hybrids are going to be the way to go for most.

The thing is [plug-in] hybrids like the 330e are actually crap for range for people in rural areas, most have a real electric only range of 20miles in decent weather and gentle driving, worse case about 10miles.

They are excellent if 80% of your driving involves popping to the shops and going into town thatā€™s close by, and the rest driving on a couple of B roads.

If 80% driving on motorways and be sensible youā€™ll be lucky with 40mpg.

I was very tempted to get a Mitsubishi PHEV before reading up on it.

Those tiny batteries also take hours to charge plugged in with no DC so itā€™s a slow 3.7kw AC.

So many people have said something similar but once they committed to electric they have made it work for them because there is a solution to suit their needs. Often after starting with a PHEV.

I think your confusing types of hybrids there. The principle behind a hybrid is not to run on the battery, the battery is to store energy for the electric motors. The electric motors kick in at optimal points to support the ICE eg when starting off or sudden acceleration. Motors have maximum torque from the outset, so push the car and thus the ICE uses less fuel.

The PHEVs just take the principle further by using bigger batteries that can run the car for a short distance on the batteries alone. Itā€™s kinda of a gimmick through unless you really can do back and forth on the battery power.

Also having owned and still own a hybrid vehicle, at motorway speeds the motors are used so the mpg does not plummet. My car will sit at 70 with the engine at 1500 rpm. So on a motorway I can get 58-60 mpg.

Sorry yes I was just late commenting on PHEVs like the 330e and Outlander on this:

I would agree in that they are only beneficial if youā€™re mostly only needing the electric and rarely the petrol needs to kick in as you can plug in.

But that would be just down to how efficient the petrol engine is if going along the motorway I assume the battery isnā€™t being used much if at all in your hybrid unless itā€™s heavy traffic and lots of stop/start.

Both the plug-in hybrids mentioned appear to get around the 40mpg based on reviews and forums when driven on motorways where itā€™s solely petrol in use and the battery charging by the petrol isnā€™t adding anything. So like Outlander is using a 2.0 petrol to lug 2 tonnes of car along.

I donā€™t have any other options for now in terms of electric pick up trucks

The Rivian isnā€™t out and the Cyber truck in itā€™s current form isnā€™t road legal in the UK, also itā€™s fecking hideous.

Ford has partner with Rivian to use itā€™s platform so shall see if Ford bring an electric Ranger to the UK market.

1 Like

Iā€™d hope the kids would say ā€œWow mum, the engine on that car sounds AWESOME, why doesnā€™t our car sound like that?ā€ - followed by ā€œWhatā€™s a V8, can we get one?ā€

If they donā€™t, they need a smack :joy:

I donā€™t have a car now but my most recent car was a VW Gold (2015) which was a 1.6 Diesel and drove beautifully. It certainly drove a lot nicer than my previous petrol car.

Phil, I can only speak about Toyota hybrids as different car companies have different implementations.

The Toyota phev can run on the motorway on battery alone.

Toyota Hybrids, the big battery is always in use, the whole car is powered by it. The AC, fuel pump, water pump etc, itā€™s all electric and runs from the big battery. There is no starter and no alternator and the conventional 12v battery is smaller and a different chemistry as it has no use once the car is up and running.

On a motorway, the engine and the two electric motors are normally engaged. One motor tops up the engine which is why it can run at 1500 rpm and the second motor tops up the battery.

1 Like

No idea about tech specs but they look amazing. When the money comes in then. :grinning: R=

1 Like

Yeah I appreciate that some hybrids and plugin hybrids do fine on motorways and get good mpg, and that you can run them in different modes so itā€™s either petrol, or electric, or petrol helps fill the battery, or boosts the petrol when needed or alter the braking so more energy is saved etc. I assume though itā€™s mostly down to weight, and how good the petrol side is and maybe aerodynamics when driven a long distance continuously at a constant speed.

I think the point I was making is that for motorway commuting and people living in the sticks you can have a 10yr diesel or a petrol in the last 5 years achieve a real 58-60mpg and itā€™s currently cheaper so little incentive to swap.

For those that have an open mind about moving from diesel to electric this video will be interesting.
A point that is rarely referred to when considering a change from diesel to electric is the TCO (total cost of ownership).
In this video a driving instructor discusses with colleagues that have changed from diesel to electric with some really surprising facts emerging.

2 Likes

Since my EV has been delayed beyond when Iā€™d need it, Iā€™m now on the lookout for a readily available vehicle and have seen some very tempting deals on diesels.

Iā€™m only looking at a two year lease, so residuals and other long term considerations arenā€™t an issue.

We donā€™t go into London much, but they are Euro 6 compliant so should be fine for ULEZ.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Would you do the mileage to warrant the fuel price difference between a petrol and a diesel car?
Would a petrol car be cheaper to lease?

Iā€™m assuming from him saying ā€œsome very tempting deals on dieselsā€ that the deals on diesels are tempting him to a diesel because theyā€™re good deals.

Not a huge amount else, servicing costs are basically same as a petrol, there is a requirement to fill up with Ad Blue, but thatā€™s (currently) pretty cheap. So, other than the fact that diesel fuel is hella expensive, enjoy your more fuel efficient car (especially when compared against E10)! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was getting at.
Given the current price, Iā€™d imagine that youā€™d have to do a significant mileage now to get any real benefit.
(Although, Iā€™ve never owned a diesel car, so Iā€™m more than happy to be corrected)

In this instance no, the petrol cars are more expensive. I donā€™t do massive mileage but since Iā€™m not trying to offset a higher vehicle cost this isnā€™t really a factor.

1 Like

How much mileage roughly would you do.

Modern diesels donā€™t like low milage, you will soon clog your DPF/ECG filter up and those are not cheap to fix.

Iā€™d arguably suggest if your milage is less that 10k a year the savings on a diesel over petrol, especially at this time, would be minute.

I have a diesel 4x4 ( where I live you need one even to get on the drive) and the extra it costs me to fill it negates any savings I would have made over a standard petrol car

1 Like

So long as you drive it a 30-60 minute journey once a week, youā€™re fine. :slight_smile:

This is actually not always true, based on my experience only Iā€™m not a mechanic