What can first line support actually do?

Unless your statistic of choice is initial response time

4 Likes

In our business we count FCR, or first call resolution.
This actively encourages the customer to have their problem resolved as quickly as possible, and preferably with the agent you first spoke to.

Obviously it means the system needs to be smart enough to connect the customer to the right advisor, either through a call IVR or through automated chatbot messages.

1 Like

If monzo are choosing to measure themselves by the wrong metric, they have no one to blame but themselves…

1 Like

Can’t speak for what it’s like now, but I definitely recall a point where as a COp you’d effectively be penalised for being more knowledgeable and actually being able to solve things, because the raw stats would show that the person simply triaging everything had better numbers.

Hopefully that’s been solved by now.

11 Likes

God that’s terrible…
And it doesn’t seem like that’s changed since you’ve left, sadly.

4 Likes

More like this in my experience at contacting support

Question :arrow_right: Transferred :arrow_right: Transferred :arrow_right: Transferred :arrow_right: Misunderstood and ended the chat :arrow_right: Start again :arrow_right: Transferred :arrow_right: Transferred :arrow_right: Days later given a wrong answer again :arrow_right: Then transferred to another team who just never responds since the support team has ignored 4 messages of mine after promising to respond in chat.

1 Like

I had a recent experience where I reported an issue, got an answer back basically saying I’ll investigate they a reply saying the issue seems to stem from it been paid from a pot.

That was that 🤦 I had to reply to paraphrase well that’s your issues with the system why isn’t it getting fixed. What really should of happened is this person should have shown the initiative to actually say, ya know what I’ll send this to another team to look into. Rather than me having to say those words to get it pushed further.

1 Like

COps is a hard business to scale. I certainly don’t envy the people at the top of that chain. But there were definitely things that happened that demoralised a lot of people. A lot of it is on Glassdoor, although some things should be taken with a pinch of salt.

But it’s also been almost a year since I left, so I can’t speak for what changes have happened since then, of which I’m sure there has been a lot. How effective any of those things have been is not something I can speak on.

2 Likes

Were management doing anything to change this though?

It’s definitely interesting. Looking on reviews sorted by latest on Glassdoor doesn’t really paint a great image either…

The people that I had the closest relationships to at the top of the COps chain left in 2018 and 2019. After those handful of people left, I personally had less of a direct relationship with whatever changes were happening at the top. I just focused on this place, events (like Investival and Future of Monzo, both of which I hosted) and social media stuff for pretty much the last year that I was here. So it’s a little hard for me to say.

Thing is that when I was started there were like… 10 COps total? Maybe less? And even when it scaled up to like 100, 200 there was still clear communication and a lot of trust. By the time I left, there were so many layers, hierarchies, and politics and much less communication. Now, I’m not going to lay that blame at anyone’s feet in particular, that’s just how it goes sometimes in rapidly growing businesses and especially when certain key people leave. But it does cause a trickle effect, and certain people I had a huge amount of respect for in COps weren’t able to impact the system the way they used to be able to, and so they left as a result, and that was upsetting.

5 Likes

Something kinda applies to yourself and Tom to various shades and extents too, if I may be so bold

1 Like

I remember that photo of all the staff getting stuck in with helping answer questions when things got bad.

It was bad that it got to that stage but it’s memories of the Mondo-style days, where I was genuinely so excited at the idea of different banking

3 Likes

Kind of explains why no one ever answers about chat support or the fact that some users can access it without having to search for it. It’s a mess and it’s clear enough to see that just from the struggles people have with it.

I wonder what the rules are on them deciding who can and who can’t see the chat button

Favourite customers :arrow_right: Button
Average customers :arrow_right: Have search
Hated customers :arrow_right: No support
Evil customers :arrow_right: Email stating account termination

1 Like

Profitable customers :arrow_right: Support button
Loss making customers :arrow_right: Search for support

:thinking:

I don’t think I’m profitable so unless my other half makes me eligible by way of our joint account, profitability doesn’t matter

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.