This is whats wrong with my bank...(my wishlist)

A few thoughts:

Use a password manager. It’s important to use different passwords, because the more websites you use a single password on, the more likely it is that one of the websites will get hacked and your password will be stolen. All websites should practice good password security but sadly they don’t. Having said that, I don’t understand “Enter the 3rd, 8th, and last digit of your password” - that’s really annoying and I don’t see how it improves security (feel free to say I’m an idiot and it’s obvious though!).

That’s not the bank’s fault. This usually happens because you used pay at pump - a £1 authorisation is put on your card to check it’s genuine and active, then a day or two later the petrol station asks your bank for the full amount of money. Your bank has no idea how much the petrol station will ask for until they ask for it - what would you suggest that they should show? There are a few sensible ideas, but personally I think showing that it’s a £1 authorisation is the most transparent (and therefore best) option.

For more information on how authorisations work and how transactions are posted, see Mondo’s excellent blog post on the “three second sandwich”.

This is what Dymo labels are for! Personally I think this is an additional unnecessary layer of complexity. Having said that, I think banks should offer to create plain (white) cards, (optionally) embossed, which you can then print / have printed yourself.

I don’t believe Apple Pay is particularly easy for banks to sign up to - but honestly I’m not sure. I’m working on the assumption that if it was easy Mondo would’ve done it by now.

This is one of the things I find (slightly - there’s an API so I can solve my own problem!) frustrating with Mondo - I also prefer to bank on my computer as opposed to my phone. That, and HTML5 makes everything easy - after all, nearly all devices now have a standards compliant web browser available!

If I’ve said anything crazy / misunderstood something feel free to call me out!

1 Like