The Great Permacrises

That’s above the current ofgem cap - can’t you change to your supplier’s standard variable tariff?

It’s a local heating company for the whole building, we don’t get a choice in who provides it.

Ah, OK - that’s a pity.

As I noticed Octopus Go has increased its off-peak and E.ON have stopped their EV Drive tariff I thought I’d take a look at E.ON now.

Next 2 Year v15

41.77p kWh and 39.41p day
13.03p kWh and 26.12p day

( (41.77 * 2900) + ( 39.41 * 365) ) / 100 = £1355.18
( (13.03 * 12000) + (26.12 * 365) ) / 100 = £1658.94

£3014.12 :exploding_head:

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 15.29.28

1 Like

It’s all going up. Not unexpectedly though.
I’m currently with the Octopus Go May 2021 V1 tariff (15.78p/5p per kWh with 25p SC per day) until, hopefully, next September, as I switched just before the GO prices went up in October.

Of note, Agile Octopus has recently come back to life and has had several days of plunge pricing (you get paid to use electricity) at the start of the year. The gamble is if that trend will continue or tail off like it did in mid-2021, becoming way more expensive than Go. At this stage, I’m HODL with GO

But compared to the E.ON prices above, :octopus: is still strong.

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

No bigger crisis than that of receiving a pair of unsolicited socks.

Worse than the unsolicited U2 album!

8 Likes

I think it’s all about timing :man_shrugging:

Didn’t early Monzo customers crave Monzo socks? :joy::rofl:

1 Like

Socks are great!

1 Like

On the one hand… What a gaff.

But on the other, I do like new socks, so…

1 Like

Another to add to the list, a bigger whoops, Warrington Council were tied up with them.

Got an email from British Gas yesterday, this is the first time I’ve been able to see from them an actual cost if I just go to the variable rate.

Your Exclusive Energy Feb 2022 tariff comes to an end on 28th February 2022. Now is the time to fix your energy tariff again, protecting your rates until 31st December 2023. If you do nothing, you’ll be switched to our Standard Variable Tariff.

With so much uncertainty in the global energy market, prices will be affected for a while yet. So although our Standard Variable Tariff may appear cheaper right now, that won’t last for long. It’s likely that it will increase by hundreds of pounds when the industry regulator, Ofgem reviews the energy Price Cap in February.

Current - £603
Fix - £1231
Variable - £820

This seems… Low, compared to what I’ve been seeing elsewhere!

1 Like

Honestly with the Russia / Ukraine situation I’m thinking it’s time to fix if you can.

I don’t know if the big P would really turn the gas taps off but if he did, wholesale prices would hit a whole new level.

I really hope it wouldn’t come to that! I think I’m going to let it roll for now, but definitely food for thought.

Is that due to my low usage though?

1 Like

Arguably we’re approaching a time where our reliance on Gas falls due to warmer weather, so long as they can get their little battle done before next winter, we should be fine! :joy:

1 Like

Wholesale gas is bought in advance, though, so any large price rises would affect us next Winter too (they already will). If russia does invade Ukraine and a sanctions war follows, it’s unlikely that would be resolved in a year either. That said, Russia might not be able to afford to turn the gas off and it’s all pretty hypothetical. Still, few are predicting the market goes down this year.

That’s because it’s a quote for specific usage. It makes more sense to quote the kWh price.

I should’ve probably been clearer - I meant the difference between variable + fixed, seemed low in comparison to what I’ve been seeing elsewhere with the huge differences in price compared with staying on the variable tariff.

1 Like