The Environment

No ya orite thanks, air con all the way. Need some of that cool air to get away from the heatwave :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The water coming into your house may well be the cheapest, most convenient source of “cooling”. We’re privileged in the UK to have our water come quickly from relatively high altitudes. You’ll be better off lowering home temperature to bearable or reasonable than dropping down to 18 centigrade anyway

I’ll pass

Well, roll on the floods

1 Like

World population in 2020: 7,794,798,739
World population in 1980: 4,458,003,514
World population in 1951: 2,584,034,261

It turns out there is a case in which compounding actually sucks. That and advances in medical science means population has ened up more or less doubling over decades rather than over centuries.

I can’t remember what it was called or who wrote it, but I seem to recall reading a science-fiction short story in which the ‘bad’ guy has what looks like an innocuous network of satellites that he turns into gravity bombs. The aim, to kill x% of the world to bring population back down to manageable levels.

1 Like

These numbers only tell you about the past not the future though. There are so many factors in population growth. The prediction supported by the UN is that we will hit 9bn by 2050 and 12bn by 2100 at which point rapid growth will end.

https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/population/world-population-prospects-2019.html

I’m not really sure that in the case of a person committing genocide, bad needs to be in inverted commas :thinking:

This whole population thing is unscientific scaremongering in my mind. There’s plenty of things in the environment that we are being warned about and need serious action, no need instead to defy science and worry about exponential population growth that scientists are not predicting.

1 Like

Seen this the other day about eco moorings which help out sea horses, but at the same time save the sea grass forests from destruction.

It’s currently undergoing trials

Also a project ongoing for planting new sea grass forests, which help lock in carbon. At the same time providing shelter for plenty ocean going wildlife.

2 Likes

Strictly speaking it was genocide because he wasn’t targeting a specific nation or ethnic group :sweat_smile:

I wouldn’t say it’s scaremongering to discuss the potential problems of overpopulation. I will cede it is a complicated issue with no clear-cut answer.

I think it’s scaremongering to talk about compounding or exponential growth when the reality is growth has been slowing for some time.

It’s also not directly an environmental issue and the translation into the effect on the environment of any population growth is even more complex than predicting the growth itself.

Meanwhile the already existing 7.8bn people are heading to extinction at which point ‘overpopulation’ becomes evidently the last of our concerns.

2 Likes

My job since my promotion involes waste management for a large company thats a household name, everything goes in one big container attached to a compactor and then burnt at a incinerator. Except cardboard thats bailed and sold for recycling.

Guessing it’s more cost effective that way.

I don’t really care about use of petrol or deisel as its most practical in rural areas and I like cars way too much. I just find it wasteful to burn stuff like cans that can be recyled easily and infinatly.

2 Likes

Waste management is another huge issue yeah. It seems any effective system requires both people to put things in the right bins, in the right condition and then a lot of expense from waste management companies.

This is a real area we need the national government to step up instead of local councils. At the minute, the rules for what can be recycled are different where I work and where I live and different again in most commercial venues where they hire private contractors. It needs a clear national framework and consistency or we stand no chance of people not being confused.

And as always the best solution would just be to produce a lot less waste. Refill supermarkets etc.

1 Like

Why don’t we have scandinavian style container deposit systems, make large corperations like coke pay for their plastic mess.

It’s cheaper for buisnesses to just put everything to landfill or incinration which is why it happens.

Where I live we are blessed with single stream recyling, cardboard, paper, glass, cans and plastic bottles all in one bin. Then one bin for everything else.

3 Likes

The biggest issues are what actually happens with the recycling once it’s collected. Too much is shipped away or not even recycled.

1 Like

Fantastic video covering climate change policy and what we can do to help:

3 Likes

That’s an awesome video :clap: great way to explain the different policies.

Worth noting in the U.K. we have for now extended the EU ETS scheme. This has historically been an absolute mess, but it could be very effective if used properly in the future. We’ve ruled out a carbon tax for now. I’m not sure we’ve considered a carbon coin.

We are also implementing some of the ‘everything else’ bracket but this is where it has been very haphazard. I think our main hope in the U.K. still lies with properly implementing and reducing the ETS permits now we have control of them.

1 Like

Sounds good @desu. We have yet another bin for food waste. R-

You’re right, great presentation just a bit too fast to catch it all but very engaging speaker. Going to have to watch it several times I think just to capture all the other websites and reference points he mentioned. R-

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, a good find. R-

1 Like

And the :elephant: in the room is the fact that it is already too late to save anything:

70+ years of intense fossil-fuel burning to undo? Not possible. Mother Nature will sort it out, and we’re the first problem to deal with.

1 Like