The Big Monzo Plus FAQ

I can’t wait to see what is actually rolled out.

I mean sure, I could offer further opinions, then post a few times to pick others up on a few semantics here and there but given everything positive about this that I’ve read is pretty much what I’d say, and everything negative seems to come from people who won’t be opting to take Monzo Plus anyway, I’m not sure there is much more constructive comment to be had.

4 Likes

Y’know what, me too.

I posted (since deleted) a negative-ish comment, which I guess was a knee jerk reaction to how bad it was the last time.

But, we can’t judge on what we don’t know, so I too am looking forward to seeing what happens, and hopefully becoming a plustomer again

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for both your positive and constructive responses to our post. We’ll be back with updates as we have them. In the meantime, keep an eye out for some threads from other teams looking for your input.

Have a wonderful holiday period, whatever it is you celebrate this time of year. Thanks again for your commitment to our community, even when it hasn’t been as smooth sailing as we’d all have liked!

See you in 2020! :partying_face: :tada:

20 Likes

What about existing monzo plus users
I pay for plus just for the personal monzo.me address lol
But what about us do we just cancel and join tier 1/2 or does plus turn to tier 1?

The good news is that other people have successfully cancelled plus and still been allowed to keep their custom monzo.me address.

The bad news is that it sounds like you’re effectively paying for something that could have been free, if you cancelled earlier.

Sure i could cancel now but at the price it aint bad so i dont have a issue but was just wondering if plus turns into tier 1

Of course but deals are alright with it to

What you have now won’t turn into anything.

Thanks for this update, it’s really great to see where the ‘new’ Monzo Plus is going.

One thing I would really like to stress which I don’t feel was well executed last time - for your top tier account, please keep in mind that many of your users who would be attracted to a top tier offering from Monzo are likely (to be fair, this is based on me and my assumption of people with disposable income like me, I don’t actually have any data to back this up!) to have other premium products which also attract a fee elsewhere - possibly other banks (but appreciate this is an edge case since the goal would be for the user to have one current account, Monzo) but most importantly premium credit card offerings like American Express gold/platinum which attract a high fee and come bundled with benefits.

It would be difficult for me to justify paying extra to Monzo if many of the benefits are just duplicated, so it would be great if there was some way to make the benefits modular, to avoid as much duplication as possible.

2 Likes

Oh dear is this the beginning of the end?

Have read that seven line sentence several times and still my grey matter can’t understand it :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

That’s what I get for not proofreading I suppose! I was just making the point that people who have disposable income to spend on extra Monzo benefits likely already have paid-for premium services elsewhere, and therefore it would be good to make the offering customisable if possible.

For example, American Express Platinum attracts a £575 annual fee, but provides worldwide travel insurance, hotel loyalty membership, concierge, etc. Therefore, a Monzo Plus account that charged a monthly fee for extra unique Monzo features, but also came bundled with worldwide travel insurance and concierge as forced benefits would not be attractive to customers already paying £575 annually elsewhere for the same thing - especially given that these kind of features usually make up a large portion of the monthly fee. If, on the other hand, I could either pay less to remove those ‘duplicate’ benefits, or pay the same but choose other benefits instead, I’d be a lot more likely to be able to justify subscribing to the new Monzo Plus!

The only reason the initial sentence was so long is because I added two caveats inside the sentence when I guess I should have just stated afterwards:

1. I don’t have any data to back this up, and these decisions should obviously be made objectively - this is just based on my personal experience and my friends and colleagues who I have spoken to
  2. Some banks offer packaged bank accounts and have benefits that come bundled, but I guess these should be worried about a little less as they are like-for-like. Cards like American Express however are completely different product offerings.

It’s pretty late and I’m pretty tired - I tried to be clearer but I have potentially just made things more confusing? :man_shrugging::rofl:

3 Likes

I think it’s great that you’re publishing this info.
I’ve loved the Monzo experience so far so am prepared to wait and see.
If these are budgeting power tools and other services then I think they would be better positioned as bolt-ons to just the one type of account.
I am concerned that the free account will stagnate and traditional banks will catchup. With their transitional funding models they might even be able to provide better features than the free Monzo account. Then I’ll be in a right pickle.

So my number one question is how are you going to stay ahead in the free joint/current account market?

P.s. parity for free JAs please!

1 Like

Because this is far more profitable.

I would focus on attracting larger deposits, which in turn can be lent. Budgeting is one way to increase average deposit value.

One thing that seems absent is offering paid tiers for free under certain criteria with the goal of attracting larger average deposits

2 Likes

A few cents from me…

1. I currently get my salary paid into my Monzo account, and pay my rent out of it, but that’s about it. So the account sees larger movements of money, but not all the small stuff (direct debits, card payments, etc). I have multiple UK current accounts and also accounts in euro and will likely continue to do so. I’m not sure whether Monzo particularly cares if I use my account as my genuine/one-and-only current account vs the way I use it today, but if you do I would suggest focusing the premium tiers on incentives to make me fully migrate.

2. Budgeting features are virtually useless for me because I do almost all of my GBP card spending on my American Express and then I also use euro-denominated cards when I’m in the euro area. Unless you can integrate data from all UK Open Banking PSPs and ideally all PSD2-compliant PSPs anywhere in the EEA (which I realise is a huge undertaking, even with middleware), I will likely continue to ignore all the budgeting and forecasting stuff and it will thus provide no added value to me.

3. If it dovetailed with point (1), I would be willing to pay for something like N26 Black - the hipster version of HSBC Premier if you like. Unlike some others, I would appreciate a super-clean (ie, Starling-esque) black or metal card, but I still likely wouldn’t use it much unless you could compete with American Express on rewards (which I realise is almost impossible given the different interchange fees). There would need to be some sufficient value add though - airport lounge access springs to mind.

I’m not sure how representative I am of the target audience. :blush:

Im just really excited to see what they launch, and im also interested to see how they launch it too (video or advert).
I hope it includes benefits that will suit me otherwise its something im not going to opt into :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t really understand all the negativity on here to be honest.

Monzo have got to make money somehow, and offering optional paid-for extras is surely a great way to do that.
Those who don’t like or want these extras still have their brilliant free Monzo account.

Personally I’m not too fussed about any paid-for extras, I’m very happy with my account, however I might be interested in things that would save me money elsewhere like breakdown cover and travel insurance (depending on the monthly price). Cashback at retailers would be cool too.

6 Likes

What is the current average deposit value?

£288.62

Thanks! Is that good or bad then?

If you take £288.62 and times it by 3,616,967 customers that’s a serious amount of money (over a billion).

£1,043,929,015.54 to be precise :open_mouth: