Switched from Monzo to a legacy bank (Barclays) đź’«

Thinking a bit on this, literally the only thing keeping me using monzo, having my balance be the balance I can spend, without me looking the small details of Lloyds to figure out how much I have left. The notifications are nice, but I’ve found myself not really reading them, its more, “yup nothing unexpected here”, or “Yay i’ve been paid.”

The stagnation has really started to get to me, targets on iOS have been there for a while and they still seem like the MVP. Christmas really opened my eyes to it the problems with it, buying Christmas gifts and food etc blew my normal monthly targets out the window, without being able to remove them from the overall target it very much felt like the usefulness of helping my every day spending was completely killed by these one offs. Categories go hand in hand with this as well, the current set are limited, for example Pets At Home, when I go to get stuff for my dog or cat, should that really be general, rather than a pet category? Category changes have been promised for a while and nothing has arrived.

Cash handling is another thing, without being able to pay cash in, I couldn’t close my Lloyds account even if I wanted to. I get that without branches there needs to be an agreement with someone to use counter services, but it very much feels like a big omission.

Long story short, if Lloyds changed their app for Available balance to be the headline balance. I’d be moving my salary back to Lloyds along with the direct debits I moved.

5 Likes