Set Start of Month

Hrmm I guess this is an iPhone only view? I can’t seem to find/replicate that in Android.

However, it doesn’t quite address what I’m after… I want to see my running total for the time period of my choice to be on display at all times like spent today is; basically I just want the ‘spent today’ to be configurable to other relative time periods, rather than just always seeing ‘spent today’, which for me is useless as I don’t budget for a daily amount, I budget in weekly and monthly amounts.

1 Like

On Android we only have spent per month (Spending tab), and merchant summaries once you drill in the transaction details. Search doesn’t allow time periods, just simplest keyword/emoji search.

I see what you mean though, I could definitely use weekly spending periods on app homepage, since most of my daily purchases are small (like just lunch), so I’m looking at the same £2.50 every day. :smiley:

A simple request on the budget/target feature.
Would be so useful if i could set my start date.
My financial month starts on 15th of the month not on the 1st, so I’d like to be able set my monthly targets from the 15th and to monitor from that point

So I have now moved over some direct debits and credits and dying to use the targets. But as my salary is 20th and debit start from around the same time, I am finding it really difficult to track as the targets reset on the 1st.

Will the current account be launching with targets being per calendar month? I think targets can be such a key feature and selling point for monzo but in its current form it’s more of a hindrance to try and use it unless you get paid on the 1st of the month.

4 Likes

Second that for some customisation. Weekly paid here so would like either weekly or 4-weekly option maybe?

2 Likes

Hi there, loving the app. I have been looking around the forums and haven’t seen this idea (although I might have missed it). It’s a simple one and should be easy enough to implement.
I budget weekly (rather than monthly). I would love to have the option to set weekly spending targets, not just monthly.
As it is with the monthly targets I can’t use this feature. I hope I’m not the only one!!!
:slight_smile:️:money_with_wings::credit_card:

I’m glad there’s already a thread for this as this has been the number one thought on my mind since starting to get my salary paid in to the Monzo CA. I keep looking and being like “oh great, only spent x amount on Ubers this month”, only to remember to swipe left and realise for the eightieth time that I have vastly overspent.

Adjustable pay periods are 100% necessary.

1 Like

Hi everyone

I’ve had a few ideas before coming here but they seem to have been addressed by other users except one

I’d like to be able to change where a month starts and ends as my salary doesn’t come in at exactly the end of the month. I end up having to look at different sets of monthly data to get a more accurate depiction of the month…you can spend a lot of money in 5 days!

Thanks!

This idea has been suggested many times here. Monzo are taking it seriously are have assured users that it will be possible soon

There’s quite a lot of discussion around this topic. Make yourself a cup of tea :coffee: and go here:

https://community.monzo.com/search?q=start%20of%20month

1 Like

Lets say I’m getting paid on the 22nd
At the moment, the budgeting tool generates a monthly report at the end of every month (1st - 30th) which isn’t really helpful or accurate for people getting paid earlier than the last week of the month

Im intrigued as to why people need the month to start on the 22nd for example, when they have fixed expenses for the month. Regardless of when I get paid there are still specific bills I need to meet on a monthly basis and the day I get paid doesn’t really change that.

For those wanting a flexible date… am I missing something really obvious ? Is your rent, mobile phone, tv licence etc not paid monthly?

I mean there are people who get paid weekly and they still have to work to a monthly budget to get the bills paid ?

3 Likes

Erm… yes, fairly big and obvious issues.

If I am paid on the 26th of the month (let’s say July), but my budget can only run from the 1st to the end of the month then there are 4 (maybe 5) days from my pay that effectively I’ll spend in August but won’t show in my August budget because technically they are in July.

There is a reason almost all budgeting apps allow for you to choose your month start date.

1 Like

I guess I don’t understand why your budget can only run a few days?

My pay day varies …that doesn’t change my ability to plan for the next month.

2 Likes

Of course I can budget but if the app resets to 0 four days into my pay then it’s a pointless budgeting tool…

I’m actually struggling to see how you don’t see that as a big flaw in a budgeting tool.

As am I…

The whole point of a budgeting tool is that it is an accurate model of your spending. If it doesn’t have the right dates then it isn’t an accurate model!

So I use fudget at the moment to manage my spending. Everything is planned on a monthly basis. To be honest it would never even cross my mind to split a month up.

My calendar says October so I plan my spending for October. I don’t plan for some of September and some of October because I got paid in September.

That’s the crux of my question as to me it’s logical to work on a monthly basis but clearly for some it seems not to be … and I was wondering why when key bills are paid on a month to month basis.

4 Likes

I get paid on the 28th of each month, earlier if that happens to be a weekend or bank holiday.

I simply “carry forward” that income to the next month and see it being spread out over the whole of the month looking after expenditure, direct debits etc. So the 1st to the 31st budgeting works OK for me.

I can see it being not to easy if you are paid much earlier in the month though.

2 Likes

In a separate app, perhaps it’s more possible. In the same app as your bank then it skews up the spending catagories. I can’t say “I spent £100 on food” in my September pay if 4/5 days of my food spending is in a different month.

I keep going back to - there is a reason that almost all budgeting apps and tools allow a user to choose a starting day of the month - or even (as mine does) a cycle (so I can have £100 over 8 days if I really want to).

But with budgetting you have an amount brought forward from the last month, your salary wage or pension, your outgoings, and what is left is carried forward to the next or put into savings.

As you know your regular outgoings be they a fixed monthly amount or a variable amount (in which case you take 1/12 of the previous years cost or perhaps a rolling average of the last 3 months) you take that away from your income and you know what is left to spend. Just divide that by 4 to get a rough weekly amount.

There is no point setting a target budget of X amount to spend for the month as you may then find an unexpected expense such as boiler or car repairs and you will then be sent into overdraft.

Just try each day or week to spend less than your budget allows so there is always some left to carry forward and that can either meet unexpected costs or moved to a savings account.

The issue I have with the app as it stands is it encourages people to spend up to a set amount rather than try and spend less.

Prudent budgetting would suggest not reaching a target and trying to have some left.

It will be good when Monzo do a savings account or have one in their marketplace.

2 Likes