Progress update: Core App

It’s not. But when I first came to the forum, a lot of the discussion was around feature parity. A number of Android users were upset that the iOS app had the best features, and received the new features first.

If I recall correctly, the reason given (perhaps only by users, rather than Monzo developers) was that iOS was easy to develop for because there was a smaller number of devices to develop for.

I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. I personally don’t mind waiting for features to arrive as much as I used to. Probably because, when they do arrive, they are not nearly as good as I was expecting. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@davidwalton Sorry about that, this is a problem with the sequencing of the features. We weren’t sure whether we’d want to release hiding pots earlier if sorting took a long time, so we made the hiding toggle be the gate-keeper of the editing screen in general, and sorting just adds sorting on top. In the end we were able to release both together on Android. I’ll see if the team can improve how the labs toggles are worded so it’s clearer!

12 Likes

@gmclean I think this sentence highlights the difference in how we’ve approached this. Feature parity in this case wouldn’t mean having this on iOS sooner, it would just mean delaying having this on Android.
The point of Monzo Labs is not only to give people more involved in helping build Monzo early access to features, but also that releasing to a limited set of people as early as possible always reveals use-cases and bugs that we hadn’t thought of. In this case I strongly believe having Android users test hiding and sorting as soon as it’s ready is going to make the iOS version better than it would’ve been if we delayed both to release at the same time.

That being said, we are definitely aiming for feature parity in general. The features were started on both platforms roughly at the same time, but iOS having a few extra performance issues combined with simple things like holiday schedules makes it difficult to both give early access and release things on both platforms at the same time.

29 Likes

Thanks for the honest and refreshing explanation, its good to see, look forward to it arriving for iOS. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the explanation and understood.

To keep this simple I’d call the feature ‘Manage Pots’ and have a single labs/settings toggle that enables/disables both Hiding or Sorting at the same time (like it is now when both toggles are enabled in labs)

Then it’s up to the user what they choose to do, given the choice of sorting or hiding is available to them.

2 Likes

Makes perfect sense, and I couldn’t agree more.

Thank you for providing the reasoning, the transparency helps manage the expectations and lowers the frustrations dramatically. I realise the challenges you have so appreciate you taking time to reply to this.

Now, WHEN ARE WE GETTING THE IOS VERSION!! (Kidding!!! Take your time and get it right!) :smiley:

I’m a bear? What?

1 Like

Ha! Very good. My emoji game is weak!

1 Like

Unless I’m really misunderstanding, that doesn’t make sense at all.

If one feature, which is already lacking platform parity, could be done next week, but another takes months, why not do the quick one first?

Keeping platforms without parity is bad. No one thinks otherwise. So many features seem to get left behind because of ‘something bigger’. But now there’s a very big issue of people getting a different experience depending on their phone OS.

@bruno still getting this on Android. Usually happens if I don’t kill the app before launching again. But not all the time. I have to switch tabs for the transactions to show again.
On Android 9.1 Huawei p30 pro.

@krr13 is this just with the hiding/sorting pots enabled?

On the subject of managing pots…

I was looking forward to being able to hide pots but I’m not convinced about the implementation; in fact I don’t like it. My primary objective for hiding pots is to clean up the visual clutter in the carousel. I didn’t expect that hiding them would remove them from the overview screen as well. IMO the overview should show all accounts / pots / credit cards / loans … all financial details in one place. I think a better approach would be to grey the pots that are hidden from the carousel but still see the details in the overview. As it stands it’s not of much use to me… I guess others may like it though…
:expressionless:

Sorry should have made that clearer. Sadly not. Been there for a while now. At least 3 or 4 releases possibly longer.

Little bit of feedback from me:

• The “hold to move” delay seems a bit long. A few times I’ve assumed that the horizontal bars on the right hand side of the edit screen mean that you can move without holding first (a bit like on the Edit Playlist screen in Spotify if that’s familiar).

• Based on the experience of using it, I wonder if (on the pull-down accounts/pots screen) the amount above the pots should just be for the visible pots, then the hidden pots bit below be left justified and the amount in the hidden pots shown separately?

• I’d also love the ability to reorder the connected credit cards (potentially including the main Monzo account, too).

But top job!

8 Likes

Hi @bruno this bug is now worse than when I first discovered it with latest TF update 3.11. Are you aware and are there plans to fix it? Just tried to pay HMRC, no reference remembered because to the app I’ve made no other payments. When searching for HMRC, it can’t find it because payee name has gone. I really hope you can look into this soon. Thanks

1 Like

If anything that should be a choice they give you, i know quite a few others including me don’t want to see them at all. I personally would like to be able to hide hidden pot transactions from my transaction feed too. For a log of people it’s out of sight out of mind

This is what I expected originally from hiding pots, but it seems the aim of the project was different from what I personally (and you it seems) hoped. This doesn’t really make much of a difference, it is working for it’s goal, it just feels weird for me.

The goal was to let people hide pots so that they are ‘out of sight out of mind’. To me this is what locked pots is for and so a seperate feature should have been developed around locked pots that solves this issue better as clearly locked hasn’t worked well enough. I thought hiding pots would be better just on the carousel to solve the issue people were having of the new nav taking too long to flick through horizontally.

However it seems they gathered more than just my thoughts and the general consenses from Monzo users was the best issue to solve was the visibility of pots entirely rather than the ease of use of the horizontal scrolling specifically, and that’s fair enough! Just not the feature you and me were hoping for.

2 Likes

@bruno I have just raised this through TestFlight feedback also with a link to the community thread.

I agree it’s getting worse and shouldn’t be happening in a banking app!

1 Like

I think it’s purely down to how you use the app personally, I don’t tend to flick through horizontally all that much, It’s much quicker and easier for me to swipe down and get the list overview, so in my instance if hidden pots worked the same way as you want them too, it would have no effect for you. Surely though with the addition of sorting pots and locked pots, you could just move all the ones you don’t want to see to the end? then swiping through you just dont swipe past the ones you actually want?

I can see prs and cons to both ways of hiding, and think that if anything it should be a choice.