Paying for a destination wedding in cash

Only when traveling from outside the EU. Regardless of brexit, we are still in the EU (for now).

There is now a requirement to stop and declare large sums of cash carried

Could you link a source? I can’t find anything about that.

I have a source about the UK: https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

“If you bring cash to the UK from another EU country, you don’t need to declare it.”

1 Like

It’s 10,000 euro limit per person, anything more must be declared. Only worth doing if you can get a good exchange rate here in UK.

1 Like

Every source I’m looking at is saying you only have to declare sums larger than €10,000 IF you’re coming in from OUTSIDE of the EU.

When travelling I saw a poster that said while taking small sums inside EU is OK “If you’re travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000” and the OP is travelling with family for a wedding

1 Like

Yeah I can’t find anything that says otherwise, I got stopped and questioned by Italian customs when I was last there about how much money I was carrying though, but either way still wouldn’t be comfortable carrying that amount of cash to be honest.

That’s just weird. Could be that the employees there don’t know the discrepancy in the rules for member countries.

Either way, fair enough.

Yeah the family rule apparently only applies to outside the EU too. Oh well. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

you kindly provide a link to a UK gov website and quote how it free to bring INTO the UK but if you read the paragraph bellow it says…

“You may need to declare cash you take in to other EU countries - check with the authorities in the country you’re travelling to.”

Yep, I checked the relevant Italian site and it didn’t mention cash. The European site mentioned cash but only in the context of people crossing into or outside of the EU.

This conversation is going in circles lmao. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

IT IS ITALIAN LAW

Anyone entering or leaving Italy and carrying cash of an amount equal to or greater than € 10,000.00 shall declare that sum of money to the Italian Customs Agency. There is no distinction between EU and non-EU countries.

1. Allowed quantity of cash
    In accordance with Legislative Decree 195/2008 there is a limit to the transport of cash to Italy. It is possible to freely enter or leave the Italian soil carrying an amount of cash (banknotes, coins, traveller’s cheques, bearer negotiable instruments, etc.) lower or equal to € 9,999.99

Under Art. 3 of the Decree, anyone entering or leaving Italy and carrying cash of an amount equal to or greater than € 10,000.00 shall declare that sum of money to the Italian Customs Agency. There is no distinction between EU and non-EU countries.

1 Like

Oh sick, I didn’t find that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Was going to say, it’s on all the airport security programs that over 10k should be declared. Not really a limit, just to cut down on illegal money laundering which is fair enough. It’s ruled out as a method if you’re not happy carrying the cash though.

1 Like