Our 2021 Annual Report

No. That’s to see your balance mainly. It does very little. I think you can block but been a while since I was there

If you’ve just been mugged you want to contact quickly to get the card blocked. You might not be able to access your email on another device to get the web sign in email

3 Likes

Ah, I see! I’d always assumed the web interface was for if you’d lost your card and couldn’t access the app.

Perhaps with N26 having a full featured web access, where you could login with a password and access live chat support, there’s better justification for paywalling phone support.

Much harder to justify with Monzo’s current approach.

2 Likes

There’s very few reasons to contact by phone when you can do it all in app

Only urgent time critical things

3 Likes

Not when people are forced to wait 20+ minutes only to be disconnected and have to repeat the process. Maybe it’s better now though

3 Likes

I mean, I agree with @Rat_au_van in theory. We just need the phone service to live up to expectations a bit more.

I still remember the reports for the early days where if you called them then hang up they’d give you a ring to check you’re okay. , wistful sigh

4 Likes

IIRC we no longer cut off at 20 mins :blush:

8 Likes

What happens now? Is the cut off time different or does the call just ring for as long as it takes to answer it or the call is abandoned?

On a related issues, is Monzo still blocking certain customers from calling them?

Why wouldn’t they or anyone / any business for that matter.

They block people who are continually threatening and abusive.

2 Likes

Hey folks, I’ve just removed some off-topic posts and make some edits to the posts that kicked things off.

As always, let’s keep things civil. And please flag/DM if you spot anything that needs attention.

We’re fine with general discussion around the annual report. But let’s not make things personal, ta!

12 Likes

Just because there used to be several reports on the forum of people who believed they were being blocked for other reasons - not because they were being ‘threatening and abusive’.

And actually, no, a lot of financial businesses might not want your as a customer of you treat their staff poorly but this is not necessarily the same thing as blocking phone calls (which I accept could be justifable in some cases)

A staff member said at the time that they don’t just block people.

I’ll try and find the post.

IIRC no one was blocked directly, but calls from withheld numbers could be turned on & off.

I think it was this one?

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, and yes, they used to and I complained it to the Ombudsman. That’s what the Ombudsman told me;

As I understand it, at this time, Monzo blocked the phone numbers of customers whose accounts were closed. They’ve since reviewed this process to ensure this no longer happens.

I phoned them two months ago regarding a refund. It was nice, they didn’t let me wait on the line for too long. They were busy so my call didn’t get through right away, and the automated system told me that they would call back and they did.

I hope the FCA investigation will shed some light on Monzo’s shortfall. I think in the end it must have costed them a lot more money for booting me out as a customer. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Compared to what, I’m sure costs are already factored into any operational budgets, so highly unlikely you’ve cost them anything significant.

Compared to retaining me as a customer, the amount of admin is :exploding_head:, where they could have better used it to serve other customers. Deffo not significant, but I don’t think my lifetime as a Monzo customer worth that much in comparison to the payouts that I got.

They’ll have replaced you hundreds and thousands of times over by now. Every one of us is a crumb in the grand scheme of things.

But that cost will be built in. There won’t be a line in the accounts for unforseen costs because Kai complained that they closed his account. They will have staff/teams that deal with closed account complaints.

You’re really not hurting them like you think.

I never thought of it as about hurting them. Your words, not mine. They clearly have a problem, only time will tell, only they can hurt themselves. Happy with the compensation that I got in the end. And I’m still hoping that one day I could cash out my investment, but who knows.

I believe Monzo is on Cubex if you want to go that route.(regarding cashing out your investment)

1 Like