Nationwide chat

They have an updated version of their website (not online banking) and I think it looks really nice. It’s not extremely different from their old one, but it definitely looks more modern and reflects the rest of their brand better.

1 Like

I like their new site - their app was usually amongst the better ones but they really need to replace the card reader.

1 Like

beta.nationwide.co.uk - new website if someone interested…
They updated their website twice ? But internet banking still in 2000

2 Likes

The internet banking does look really outdated, but it does work well. I’ve never faced any issues when using it.

3 Likes

I suspect the backend at Nationwide is really old, opening a savings account in branch for example is like going back to the early 90s whilst you wait for the safe to be opened to find the passbooks, and having two systems to set up the account with a roll number.

2 Likes

That does sound awful!

I very easily opened my current account and two savings accounts online so it’s not like you need to go into a branch.

2 Likes

So have I, which is partly why I was so shocked to hear about the branch-based opening process!

1 Like

Was opening Kids savings accounts, so hoops to jump through in branch, but seeing a passbook made me feel all sentimental

4 Likes

Ah, makes sense!

I had a kids saving account with passbook, and when I was 18 I had real trouble accessing the money in it (they still insisted that the nominated “adult” be present and I wasn’t allowed online or mobile banking). I found it so useless that I decided to close the account, which they required a branch visit for, and they produced a printed counter cheque. They tried to persuade me to not close it too. I went across the street and deposited the cheque in a “real bank” bank account, and was glad to be shot of them at the time.

Now, having re-joined Nationwide as a solo adult, I don’t have the same problems - but my membership only extends to the time since I rejoined. Never mind.

Interestingly, our 18yr old went into Nationwide this week to close his Junior ISA. I was expecting all of those issues yet he had none of them.

They had to update the passbook manually rather than electronically (!) but the money was transferred into his current account immediately (with a counter cheque being offered before he pointed out that he banked with them anyway).

So hopefully some of the process rubbish has changed for the better.

3 Likes

A bit random but does anyone know why their current accounts are all called “Flex” something?

Nationwide Anglia launched the FlexAccount in 1987 and it was the first interest–paying current account in the UK.

FlexPlus, and then FlexDirect came much later (within the last decade) and are, presumably, named as they are products in the same range.

4 Likes

Nice to see Nationwide updating their app. Obviously, these features are present on other banking apps, but it’s nice to see Nationwide deciding to add them as well.

"Keep track of what you’re paying people for

Before, the reference you used when you set up someone as a new payee stayed the same, no matter what you were paying them for. Soon, you’ll be able to change it each time you pay them. It just makes things more straightforward and you won’t be confused about what the payment is for.

Be clearer about where you’ve spent your money

Ever look at your statement and can’t work out what a payment was for? Soon, whenever you use your debit or credit card, you’ll see clearer names and logos of the company you’ve paid in your transaction list.

When you shop in-store, we’ll even show you a map of where you were, as well as things like an address, phone number and website if we have it. It just means you’ll know exactly where you spent your money, and it’ll be easier to spot if something’s not quite right, too.

Use your new card before you even have it

If you use Apple Wallet on your phone, we’ll have all the details we need to be able to add it to your Wallet. Even if you’ve opened a new account or ordered a new card, you’ll be able to use it before it even lands on your doormat."

Source - Nationwide email

2 Likes

Sounds like excellent changes. Next they just need to integrate that awful card reader into the app.

Been years since I’ve used Nationwide, I did always like them though. Is the card reader still necessary for everything?

1 Like

No mention of any plans to display references for incoming payments though.

1 Like

In a word, yes!

They really need to integrate a software version of the card reader into the app, like Barclays do. It would be so much more convenient!

4 Likes

They’ve had more than enough time, Barclays have done it for years as you said. And seeing as card readers are interchangeable between banks, it seems likely the software is available as an off the shelf purchase for a bank.

3 Likes

Indeed, the standard obviously supports a software implementation.

I can’t think of any other card reader reliant UK bank, except for Barclays, which also has an app version?

So it may be more difficult than it seems.

1 Like

You can get a text to your phone instead of the card reader for some actions so it isn’t everything, but some actions.

1 Like