My complaint with Monzo

I received a credit for this too as my statements were broken for a few months. I was passed to 8 different team members over a 2 week period before I hit a COp that knew the issue and fixed it in under a minute.

I asked that whatever he did gets added to the knowledge base and received a complaints PDF info sheet and a credit for £40.

1 Like

This isn’t about Monzo’s product. It’s about their level of service. And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that if you give your bank several days’ advance notice of something this important, they should be able to provide you with the assurance you need regarding whether or not your payment will go through.

And while you can’t force them, you can certainly take that part of your business elsewhere. And if enough customers do that, Monzo will pay more attention to what needs doing.

Imagine you’re selling your home, and intending to use the proceeds to put down a deposit on another. This is something other banks are able facilitate day in day out. But it seems that with Monzo, you may not be given the necessary advance assurances you need to have confidence that your own payment will go through. So you use another account. And next time someone posts a thread asking you what’s preventing you from going “Full Monzo”, that’s why.

It’s not disloyal to point out what problems there are with the current process - particularly if you then suggest how it might be improved, as @anon99402360 has been doing. I do hope Monzo will listen.

10 Likes

This isn’t about Monzo’s product. It’s about their level of service.

There was no problem with the service though, as far as I can tell. Service wise, the customer was told what the process would be and the process was followed.

The problem is with the actual process of limits raises, and that’s a part of the banking product on offer.

Definitions aside, I think everyone agrees it’s (a) terrible product / service / whatever you want to call it

I agree, though usually the goodwill gesture is made once the complaint is resolved.

I didn’t know that. The TV advert definitely didn’t give that impression.

1 Like

I could have suffered a similar issue to codf last week, however, given the reliability issues of chat clearly displayed on here, I used my nationwide account instead, despite Monzo being my main account.

Result: Zero issues. No chat required. Transaction progressed smoothly.

Regardless of how uch monzo may delight in stating how many they may have, they still have a lot to learn in customer service circles imo.

7 Likes

To all the folks saying they don’t want money thrown at them, I agree, I’ve had this with Santander and Monzo, and in both events I decided to donate the money to Cancer Research UK, I would implore you to do the same:

2 Likes

You can ask Monzo to donate it directly to a charity on your behalf

As long as they haven’t just put it in your account that is

1 Like

Good to know, that wasn’t an option a few years ago when this happened.

It’s not given as an option but I asked them to and it wasn’t a problem

Better to get the money in your account then donate it yourself, then you can Gift Aid it.

1 Like

I can’t because I don’t earn enough but I’m sure that’s a consideration for other people

Gift aid is free to the person that checks it is it not?

1 Like

Pardon?

When you make a personal donation to a charity (via a justgiving page i know anyway?) you can select gift aid.

Is the ability to do this based on income is what im asking? I didnt know this if so.

1 Like

It’s tax relief. If you don’t pay tax, then there’s no relief.

2 Likes

Here’s more info

2 Likes

I “complained” about limits back in November 2018 and that the limit was too low. “will be passed on”. Was obviously dismissed. Why are the Monzo limits lower? Starling is 25k, Barclays Prem 50k.

When you get the limits increased how long does it last before they go back down?

I think they only increase them for the rest of the day.

It is quite short. If monzo can’t/won’t increase them permanently, then til the end of the following day would be an improvement.
Most of the people I hear complaining about this haven’t actually run into any problems, it’s just been an added headache for them at an already stressful time. At least being able to line things up the day before would relieve some of that.

1 Like