Its Good, but others are catching up - we need incentives/benefits

:point_up: was me a couple of months which prompted this;

I do believe there is still a long way to go and I will keep using Monzo as my 2nd account. I will give Monzo another shot after few months when it’s bit matured and have ironed out some teething issues like Direct Debits etc…

3 Likes

All it takes is for a legacy bank to provide instant notifications with a pulse graph and Il be away

1 Like

You have a view and that’s fine. Other people have a different view that conflict’s with yours and that’s fine. I am one of those people

I don’t think “it’s all in your head and not reality” I just think we have different priorities :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Slight change in wording but I get what you are trying to say

2 Likes

Blimey. You early adopters are all a bit impatient aren’t you? Monzo has only had a Banking Licence less than a year, and a full current account only a few months. As you know they haven’t even completed the huge task of transferring all their customers (half a million of them!) over to using the current account, and you’re all thinking of ditching it because it isn’t all singing and dancing.

I wonder why you chose to be an early customer in the first place if you weren’t in it for the long term vision.

You must be able to see that Monzo’s vision is still the same from last year, and that it will take more than a couple of months to even start to get going on achieving that vision??!

27 Likes

Gartner Hype Cycle

16 Likes

I thought I was, then the more I learned about their vision, the more I realised I didn’t like it. At that point it comes down to a comparison of features/benefits - a comparison that Monzo currently loses, and one I can’t see them winning in the medium term given their stated plans.

4 Likes

Features for me are quite simple. To be part of a bank that I can trust.

A bank that pays 3% isn’t saying “how can we help Stephen get a little richer” they are saying “how can we get our hands on Stephen’s money so we can make ourselves richer from his hard earned cash”

If features were all I cared about then I would just buy a nice Audi diesel, sit back and relish in all the opulence and not give a crap about the impact my car is having on the environment, peoples health etc. (As an example, other pretentious car models are available)

Same with banking, I have no desire to allow these banks to use my money to continue paying themselves disgusting bonuses and treat the financial well being of others as nothing more than a means of enriching themselves.

Besides the Monzo market place will open up and then I can take my pick from a competing market that by itself will force other banks etc to step up their game.

Let’s just hope the lure of money doesn’t destroy Monzo for me.

p.s. sounds preachy I know, sorry.

7 Likes

It’s a little disenheartening to hear so many people thinking that a business, run by people, cannot strike for the middle ground in making a profit and helping people :frowning:

3 Likes

Of course they need to make a profit but I think they can prioritise differently than a traditional business and so do more good whilst making less off a profit :man_shrugging:. Call it being ethical or something

Edit for your edit: they split the bulb reward with users 50:50. A middle ground :slight_smile:

I don’t have any issue with a company making money from me, as long as I am comfortable with how they do it. Example If Monzo use my money to lend to others at 5% and pay me an interest of 2% and pocket the difference that is fine, but if Monzo use my money to leverage against some risky financial product that is putting people at risk because it is irresponsible just so Monzo can gamble for big profits and then pat themselves on the back and give themselves big bonuses at the expense of some poor family who is now homeless, then I have a problem.

6 Likes

You must be very young if you don’t remember 2007 :yum:

5 Likes

Who is offering 3% instant access? All the savings accounts I’ve seen recently aren’t even close to that

lol "a bank playing a risk that paid off " wow - you didn’t read anything about rolling up sub prime mortgages with grade A debts in such a way that the banks that were playing didn’t know what they were buying in their greed to play the risk ? and then the taxpayer being put on the hook for the gamble that didn’t " pay off " to save “the system”?

3 Likes

It is possible to make money in a responsible way. If not then the whole system has no future

I don’t know :man_shrugging:t3: but definitely don’t trust most of them after the subprime mortgage fiasco. I have no idea what they’re doing with their money and even if they stated clearly how they invest I wouldn’t trust them as far as I can throw them.
At the moment I’m confident that Monzo aren’t involved in dodgy lending practices and I feel much more confident about trusting Monzo than any of the big banks

4 Likes

Wasn’t HSBC in the news not long ago, fined for allowing money laundering? “Oh no sorry, was that criminal money we were processing? We must improve our internal systems. Now we feel so guilty from all the profit we made from it “ (drives away in Ferrari…

1 Like

Not really the point though. The point is that these banks are often involved in criminal activity and if not criminal then certainly morally questionable. For lots of people a company’s ethics are just as important as their value

1 Like

you’re missing the point that quite a few people were repossessed because of the banks gambling and the taxpayer bailouts that followed to keep “the system” working because of the losses incurred :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is. Until the mid 1980’s an awful lot of UK companies were responsible to both their customers and their staff. Then of course came Big Bang along with VW Golf GTis, red braces and the whole dog eat dog culture.

Companies which had staff canteens, sick pay, holiday pay and final pay pension schemes were suddenly being squeezed. They found it difficult to compete with the shareholder funded PLCs. Out went all those in house benefits and the outsourcing and sandwich at your desk culture was born. Not just staff that suffered but customers too. The massive selling of personal pensions, interest only mortgages and expensive savings products.

The Quaker companies Clarks, Reckitts and Cadburys were beacons of excellence in this. Both Barclays and LLoyds were originally Quaker companies but have since been turned into PLCs.

So it is not just what Monzo does for its customer but what does it do for its staff and community? The job adverts on the Monzo website give no information at all about the package on offer.

3 Likes