Its Good, but others are catching up - we need incentives/benefits

I have 12 medicines a day so it costs me a fortune!

1 Like

I haven’t paid ever, I was diagnosed with a condition which exempted me at 19. I feel for you!

1 Like

sorry to hear that :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah that would be great for me too. I have a massive spreadsheet to keep track of where everything is and it is a hassle to manage multiple platforms and logins. If I could do more through monzo that would definitely be a bonus.

1 Like

They already exist though, right?

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-ppc

3 Likes

I suppose the dampener would be if many of your meds are not NHS prescription.

1 Like

they exist, but better if you could buy them thru the marketplace instead of having to buy them thru their website that would be better.

Also when the cost of a prescription is known, an algorithm could spot regular purchases at major pharmacy chains for a multiple of the prescription charge and pop up to suggest when a PPC is cheaper.

1 Like

Interesting idea but there’s hundreds of product categories out there that Monzo could theorietically give users access to, except they’re not trying to be Amazon.

I think products & services that help you manage your finances & that Monzo can give you insights on are probably all we’re going to see in the short & medium term :crystal_ball:

If someone is paying for say ten prescription items at about £9 each and Monzo suggests and enables them to get an annual prepayment cert for just over £100 and set it up to pay monthly, I would say that is exactly what Monzo would be doing, helping you manage your finances.

2 Likes

You could say the same for any product that they can help you find for a cheaper price..

Monzo’s not going to have the capacity to plug into the APIs for every product (if they even exist) to compare the prices for you.

In other words, I don’t think they’ll have access to the product level data. The closest I can see them getting is: we see you spend £x per month at a merchant that sells medicine, this service might be able to save you £x on your prescriptions. But that’s a little too close to untargeted advertising for me. Switching gym memberships would be more likely..

5 Likes

Good! Last thing I want is to feel someone was watching/judging my every purchase. I want a bank, not a helicopter parent

1 Like

I mean, they kind of will but it’s an algorithm not a person :stuck_out_tongue: and they’ll only use that data to let you know when you could be saving / making money.

It is not a matter of comparing products and saving a few quid. It is a matter that some Monzo users, including those with overdrafts, may be spending over one thousand pounds a year when they could spend just over a hundred. Monzo could be saving them say nine hundred pounds a year.

1 Like

I’m not suggesting that it wouldn’t be great, it just sounds like you’ve not thought through how they’d actually make this work.

Firstly I suggested buying a PPC could be done thru the marketplace, to expand on that, maybe in a health category.

Secondly separately to the marketplace entry I suggested

but that can be done as well as or instead of or not at all.

Quite how it could be done I don’t know, I am no programmer, but I was fairly clear as a non-programmer as to the concept.

It was just an idea for the wizards at Monzo, but I bow to your greater programming ability.

I will stop the discussion here so you can go and pour cold water on another idea.

4 Likes

I’m not a programmer either. But I think that this is a splendid idea which shouldn’t be that difficult to implement.

If Monzo simply targeted a message at those who paid the cost of a prescription at a pharmacy more than once a month (or whatever the frequency needs to be to make savings) I’m sure some people would save money.

There would be some false positives and false negatives but it seems to me that it’s just the sort of thing Monzo could easily do.

1 Like

I agree that, that’s an option. But imagine if they did that for every product category..having seen the response to the Bulb trial, I’m not sure that would go down well..

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting that they do it for every category. Just the ones that Monzo deem suitable. So no imagination required here.

1 Like

So did I!

This is an outrage :rofl:

1 Like

I love this idea. Obviously for everything it would be too much but for NHS prescriptions it’d be great. A LOT of people won’t know about the pre paid cert.

Plus one.

1 Like