Investments and Crypto šŸ’°

Are you sure? Their images on the App Store would suggest otherwise!

Lightyear does allow fractional shares. I can confirm this!

There UI is one of the reasons I moved my GIA from T212 to Lightyear as its really nice and easy to use and very easy to learn.

I highly reccomend it!

Are we using different apps?

Worked it out. S&S ISA doesn’t allow. GIA does.

Real shame. If the ISA allowed fractional ETFs I’d be on there!

1 Like

Yeah, otherwise the app is actually really nice to navigate.

A decent amount haven’t paid into it for that long or much at all.

1 Like

Whilst the people paying into the system now are being told not to rely on state pension being available to them. Also I would posit that they paid into a system that was paying out the pensions/benefits of those that were retired then. It’s the current workers that are paying into the system the money that is paid to the current pensioners.

It’s probably not a good idea to get into this as I have very strong feelings about it which will likely not endear me to you or others :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not sure that many platforms offer fractional shares for ETFs inside an ISA. In a general investment account, no problem. The alternative is mutual funds, but not all platforms trade these.

It’s a real can of worms this subject.

It’s clear the triple lock isn’t sustainable.

3 Likes

German young workers are campaigning for their pension reform, so they could have the ā€œSingaporean modelā€, meaning the current workers pay and save for their own generation, reducing dependence on ā€œnext generation of workers".

Many European social contracts are no longer sustainable. I dread the idea of being priced out of my own retirement while the current OAPs are getting more than what they paid into the system their whole life.

1 Like

Out of interest who is telling people that? I don’t think that’s an official position? Just unofficial guessing?

Yes, I worry about that too. The system needs reform to make it sustainable but let’s hope it’s done in a measured way, with the changes starting for who are just starting work and not those who have been effectively paying towards their state pension for decades.

1 Like

I don’t like there is an official position but simply that we’re an aging population and the state pension comes out of current taxation. There will reach a point where those paying in, can’t meet the demand of pension payments. Hence reform is needed

1 Like

Yeah, not an official position, but it’s very unlikely that the state pension will be as is it now by the time my/our generation retire. It’s been something that has been talked about by people for years now. It’s not really a new thing. It was one of the things that was mooted as a reason for mandating workplace pensions etc.

The problem is that when the pension started there were about four workers for every retiree. Now it’s more like two and heading for one. What they should have done is to build a fund by charging more NI and they need to work towards a funded scheme.

2 Likes

That’s because until last year, ISAs weren’t allowed to have fractional shares. T212 and some others just did it anyway and HMRC have changed the rules. I suspect other platforms will support them in the next year or two.

2 Likes

Agreed and hopefully others will change to allowing fractional shares.

I’m waiting for FreeTrade to allow for mutual funds on their free account

Oh yeah, this is 100% a thing that needs reform. But there is no way while boomers make up such a huge proportion of voters that any government will do anything about it. So their meal ticket continues. It’s like the utter farce over the winter fuel allowance. Nearly anyone I knew who was getting it said they didn’t need it and gave it to family or charity instead. The way it was re structured those that truly needed it would have still had it. But it was turned into a huge wedge issue by papers etc. anything related to pensioners is instantly weaponised and it’s the rest of the tax paying public thst suffer the most from it.

Anyway, that’s the last on anything political I’m going to say now. :sweat_smile:

Happily the shares I chose to start off in T212 seemed to do well by the end of the week. So I’m pretty happy with my first few days on the platform. Not sure I’m overly fussed by all the social features though beyond the pies thing. Which just seems like community made ETF-lites?

2 Likes

The boomers aren’t on a meal ticket. They paid rather a lot of money to the system over the years it’s just sad that none of it was invested.

Winter fuel was paid to everyone because it was much cheaper to operate the system like that than to make it means tested.

2 Likes